Author Topic: U.S. to Ban Laptops in All Cabins of Flights From Europe, Officials Say  (Read 1035 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Department of Homeland Security plans to ban laptops in the cabins of all flights from Europe to the United States, European security officials told The Daily Beast. The announcement is expected Thursday.

Initially a ban on laptops and tablets was applied only to U.S.-bound flights from 10 airports in North Africa and the Middle East. The ban was based on U.S. fears that terrorists have found a way to convert laptops into bombs capable of bringing down an airplane. It is unclear if the European ban will also apply to tablets.

DHS said in a statement to The Daily Beast: “No final decisions have been made on expanding the restriction on large electronic devices in aircraft cabins; however, it is under consideration. DHS continues to evaluate the threat environment and will make changes when necessary to keep air travelers safe.”

However, this move is increasing fears in the aviation industry that as well as guarding against bombs this ban could actually endanger flights. Laptops and tablets denied access to the cabin and added to checked baggage means that devices with a history of lithium-ion battery fires could set off a deadly conflagration in a cargo hold — where no one can put out the fires.

The FAA recorded 33 incidents in 2016 of personal electronic devices carried into cabins by passengers causing fire emergencies during flights, according to an FAA document reviewed by The Daily Beast. Of these, three were in laptops and two in tablets.

Two of the most serious were on Delta flights and both involved laptops.

More: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/10/u-s-to-ban-laptops-in-all-cabins-of-flights-from-europe

Kind of curious as to how they're doing this.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DB

I'm surprised they've allowed these devices on aircraft this long. They shouldn't be allowed in the checked baggage either. It doesn't take that much expertise to make one go boom while being very difficult to detect via scanners.

Offline Frank Cannon

Great. Let's make those long flights even more uncomfortable than they already are by reacting to something that isn't even an issue.

Maybe the Govt' can place 6 or 9 sick crying babies around the cabin on all flights to really get everyone's anxiety up.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
More nonsense from the folks who have never caught a terrorist
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Wingnut

What do they expect these people do for 6-8 hours in the air....read one of those things that have a set of parchment paper, or similar materials that are fastened together to hinge at one side. Inside this you can find words or writing or images on pages of paper that people used to read for enjoyment or to learn     Oh the humanity.

Offline montanajoe

This is not going to go over well with the folks like me that use the time to get some work done.  It's not any fun to get drunk on the way over anymore either.
Think I'll  be flying to Europe via Asia on an Asian carrier in the future.. :shrug:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
What do they expect these people do for 6-8 hours in the air....read one of those things that have a set of parchment paper, or similar materials that are fastened together to hinge at one side. Inside this you can find words or writing or images on pages of paper that people used to read for enjoyment or to learn     Oh the humanity.

You know the western educated terrorists are sitting back laughing their butts off.   They probably have a program to create disinformation campaigns just to see what they can get DHS/ TSA to do.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.