Author Topic: Courts, Colbert Enabling Trump’s Violations of Democratic Norms  (Read 304 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Flouting basic standards gives license to others to do the same.
By Jonah Goldberg
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/447467/donald-trump-stephen-colbert-activist-judges-fail-model-democratic-values

A great deal has been said about Donald Trump’s violations of “democratic norms.” I agree with much of it.

But the big problem with violating democratic norms — the unwritten customs and practices even political opponents traditionally
abide by — is that once you’ve done it, everybody else wants to do it, too. This makes everything worse, because when the people
most offended by Trump’s violations respond in kind, they not only contribute to the problem, they create incentives for Trump and
his biggest supporters to keep doing it . . .

. . . I don’t blame judges or anyone else for being disgusted with Trump’s rhetoric. But judges aren’t comedians or pundits. Their
job is to follow the law.

Trump doesn’t help by referring to his executive orders as a “ban” (so as to pretend he’s fulfilled a promise he could never keep).
But the reality is that he abandoned the ban from the get-go. When judges pretend otherwise to prove their “wokeness,” they
undermine democratic norms even further. And they give Trump and his boosters one more reason to screech that the courts are
biased against him.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Courts, Colbert Enabling Trump’s Violations of Democratic Norms
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »
Oh no. Jonah has his panties in a bunch because Democratic Norms are being violated. I hope he doesn't get the vapors.