Author Topic: 5 Reasons Trump’s Firing of Comey Was a Terrible Idea (Caruso)  (Read 483 times)

Offline corbe

5 Reasons Trump’s Firing of Comey Was a Terrible Idea

Posted at 4:00 am on May 10, 2017 by Jay Caruso

It’s a decision that sent shockwaves across Washington D.C. and the media. President Donald Trump’s firing of FBI Director James Comey is an event nobody saw coming. The aftermath will take some time to sort out, but there is nothing good that can come from what happened.

Trump created a mess with this firing even if he manages to articulate reasons for it beyond the tired excuse that it was over Comey’s abysmal handling of the Clinton case forever ago. Now, contrary to the lamentations of Hollywood morons, firing Comey is not an impeachable offense, so anybody who thinks that will happen is living in a fantasy world. President Trump was well within his rights to take action. But the political implications are another matter. Here are five reasons why it was an awful decision:

1. The timing – Of course this is bad. The FBI is currently investigating Russia’s role in the 2016 election, and whether or not Trump campaign staff were colluding with Russian agents. The mere appearance of impropriety makes the decision come off as political.

2. The GOP can’t play ball – If Trump believes he is going to get the FBI Director of his choice, he’s got another thing coming. Republican Senators are not going to allow anybody to take over. Trump will have to appoint a person that could very well be more dogmatic when he/she takes over the investigations.

3. It gives Democrats secure use of the ‘C’ word

<..snip..>

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2017/05/10/5-reasons-trumps-firing-comey-terrible-idea/?utm_content=social&utm_medium=@federalists_usa&utm_source=thenewamericana.com&utm_campaign=thefederalistparty.org

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: 5 Reasons Trump’s Firing of Comey Was a Terrible Idea (Caruso)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:09:49 pm »
That's a crock.  I've never been a Trump apologist, but he was exactly right to give Comey his walking papers.  It should have been done much earlier.  None of Caruso's kvetches mean much of anything.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:26:34 pm »
On reasons 1 thru 3, I'd say Trump is happy to give them a one finger salute.

Good for him.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 03:37:11 pm »
There would never have been a good time to dump Comey so it was do or don't.

The investigations?

The Hillary Clinton investigation showed guilt but without prosecution but the investigation was reopened. Reopened for the purpose of perpetual investigation?

The Donald Trump, et al, investigation showed no guilt but the investigation must go on. Must go on for the purpose of perpetual investigation?