Author Topic: Human Rights Campaign Attacks Johns Hopkins Professor’s Research  (Read 812 times)

rangerrebew

Human Rights Campaign Attacks Johns Hopkins Professor’s Research

May 4, 2017, Spencer Irvine, 4 Comments

A study conducted by former psychiatrist-in-chief at Johns Hopkins University, Paul McHugh, and a colleague of his, were blasted by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), a group representing the LGBT community. The College Fix reported on the HRC’s comments this week.

The HRC knocked 25 points off JHU’s rating on the Health Equality Index (HEI) that the group compiles. The group wants the university to disavow the study. So far, the administrators have not done so.

https://www.academia.org/human-rights-campaign-attacks-johns-hopkins-professors-research/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:19:13 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Human Rights Campaign Attacks Johns Hopkins Professor’s Research
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:49:52 am »
The study pointed out that the “rate of lifetime suicide attempts across all ages of transgender individuals is estimated at 41%” when compared to 5% in the overall U.S. population, among other findings.

Human Rights Campaign claimed that the university’s refusal to disavow McHugh’s study puts the health and safety of gay patients at risk.

Empirical evidence would suggest that it is transgender-ism putting the health and safety of gay patients at risk rather than Dr. Mc.Hugh's study.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
Empirical evidence would suggest that it is transgender-ism putting the health and safety of gay patients at risk rather than Dr. Mc.Hugh's study.

That means nothing if it violates The Narrative. Just shows how shallow the left's devotion to "Science" is......

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:21:03 pm »
41 percent eh? There is hope for Bradley Manning and Bruce Jenner then.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »
So - understanding that someone is at elevated risk of suicide is somehow magically risking their health and safety?

My stupidity filter has just hit overload.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:19:22 pm »
So - understanding that someone is at elevated risk of suicide is somehow magically risking their health and safety?

My stupidity filter has just hit overload.

@EC

I'm not saying I buy it, but there is a possibility that there's a cycle here...where something being stigmatized leads to more suicide, which leads to more stigma, etc.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 02:24:13 pm »
Oh, I don't dispute the very elevated risk. That is well established, and it is consistent across the entire spectrum of transitioning, from hormone suppression to full gender reassignment surgery.

What I don't get is how knowing and acknowledging this, something that is known by every trans person, risks the health and safety of gay patients - who aren't trans and have very little to do with trans.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 04:06:51 pm »
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7524#comments

Eric Raymond weighs in on this topic.