Author Topic: Matt Furie celebrated yesterday's Free Comic Book Day by killing off Pepe the Frog  (Read 1104 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Had no idea at all where to post this one. So it's here.

Spare a thought for poor Matt Furie, a wonderful indie comics creator whose Boys' Club comics featured a lovable frog called Pepe that was adopted by the neofascist movement (the so-called "alt-right") as a symbol for racism, xenophobia, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny.

Furie tried to rehabilitate his creation, which is classed by the Anti-Defamation League as a hate symbol, but did not succeed.

So yesterday, in a single page comic included in the Free Comic Book Day title World's Greatest Comics, Matt Furie killed off his creation.

More: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/07/feels-good-man.html

This PO's me a surprising amount.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Something kind of poetic about the French ripping Pepe's legs off and eating them.

Wingnut

Something kind of poetic about the French ripping Pepe's legs off and eating them.

And they really do taste like chicken.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
And they really do taste like chicken.

I went to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner this year and had frog legs.

Wingnut

I went to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner this year and had frog legs.

You sure it was frog?    :pondering:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's amazing the pure garbage people get worked up over these days. Just complete nonsense. Both the Pepe meme and the detractors.

geronl

Offline goatprairie

Oceander

Live by the pen, die by the pen!