Author Topic: France bans extremely thin models  (Read 816 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
France bans extremely thin models
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:15:59 am »
A law in France banning the use of unhealthily thin fashion models has come into effect.

Models will need to provide a doctor's certificate attesting to their overall physical health, with special regard to their body mass index (BMI) - a measure of weight in relation to height.

The health ministry says the aim is to fight eating disorders and inaccessible ideals of beauty.

Digitally altered photos will also have to be labelled from 1 October.

Images where a model's appearance has been manipulated will need to be marked photographie retouchée (English: retouched photograph).

A previous version of the bill had suggested a minimum BMI for models, prompting protests from modelling agencies in France.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39821036

Good. Who wants to see a damned skeleton showing clothes.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: France bans extremely thin models
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 09:23:20 am »
A law in France banning the use of unhealthily thin fashion models has come into effect.

Good. Who wants to see a damned skeleton showing clothes.

Maybe this will stop young girls (and now boys) from being bulemic and anorexic. I'm all for stopping eating disorders. Personally, they've affected my life really badly. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 09:02:54 pm »
Maybe this will stop young girls (and now boys) from being bulemic and anorexic. I'm all for stopping eating disorders. Personally, they've affected my life really badly.

@Freya

When I was in my twenties, I had an eating disorder.  I thought the skinnier a woman was, the better, so I cut my food intake drastically and became an exercise nut. I became way too thin.  My periods stopped for two years.  The scary thing is, you get into a mindset that's hard to get out of.  You've exercised such control over your food intake that you fear getting fat if you give up that control and start eating normally.

At a routine doctor's visit, my MD told me I was going to have to gain weight.  I asked him what would happen if I didn't, and he said, "Well, down the road?  Death, eventually."  That scared me badly, and I started to eat.

For the first few months after I came to my senses, I had a craving for whole milk...just could not get enough of it.  And I'd never been a milk drinker.  I guess my body was craving the calcium.

There's no need for models to be bony.  I get that they need to be thin so they can wear any designer's clothes, but when they start looking sick, it's too much.  There are girls on social media who are "pro-ana"; they're anorexics who encourage and enable each other to stay underweight.  They look up to models and actresses who are sick-thin.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:15:32 pm »
I liked human Barbie dolls when I was younger but I grew into real women.

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:18:02 pm »
I liked human Barbie dolls when I was younger but I grew into real women.

Yeah, that was another misconception I had.  I bought into the falsity that the skinnier a woman is, the more men like it (seems so stupid now).  But it was only when I put on some weight and rounded out in the right places that I started to get dates.

Look at the women in Playboy...not a one of them is bony.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 10:40:08 pm »
From the article:
"Images where a model's appearance has been manipulated will need to be marked photographie retouchée (English: retouched photograph)."

I'm willing to guess that -most- fashion pics/advertisements have been digitally "manipulated" to some extent. It's ALL photoshopped these days.

The reaction to this by the industry should be simple:
Mark ALL pics/ads "photographie retouchée".
That will render the requirement for such labeling pointless.