Author Topic: Berlin to bar Turks in Germany from voting in Turkish death penalty referendum  (Read 325 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Berlin to bar Turks in Germany from voting in Turkish death penalty referendum
Citing EU's stance against capital punishment, Netherlands may follow suit

MEE and agencies   Saturday 6 May 2017 00:09 UTC

Germany said on Friday it would not allow Turks to vote on its territory in any Turkish referendum on reintroduction of the death penalty, with the Netherlands possibly preparing to follow suit.

A spokesperson for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Friday that allowing such an option to vote was not possible in Germany.

“It is politically inconceivable that we would agree to such a vote in Germany on a measure that clearly contradicts our constitution and European values," said Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman, Steffen Seibert.

The German government added that its permission is needed to vote in foreign elections that take place on German soil, including in embassies and consulates.

Embassies and consulates enjoy certain privileges and immunities under the 1961 Vienna Convention and Turkey would very likely want to hold voting on their premises to reach some 1.5 million expatriate Turkish voters.

Continued: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/berlin-bar-turks-voting-germany-turkish-death-penalty-670527612

I don't know if I could ever approve of the US doing something like this; but since Turkey's government is so stinky right now, I don't care too much.