Author Topic: House to vote Thursday on ObamaCare repeal...[updated...House Passes]  (Read 18792 times)

Offline corbe

House to vote Thursday on ObamaCare repeal

By Peter Sullivan - 05/03/17 07:13 PM EDT   

The House will vote Thursday on a bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare, a GOP source said.

The announcement sets up a high-stakes vote that is expected to come down to the wire.

The move comes after the bill gained new momentum on Wednesday, after GOP Reps. Fred Upton (Mich.) and Billy Long (Mo.) said they would support the bill after a new amendment from Upton.

Still, no lawmakers other than those two have publicly given their support since the announcement of the new amendment.

"We will be voting on the healthcare bill tomorrow. We have enough votes. It will pass. It's a good bill," House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said after leaving a leadership meeting Wednesday night.

Asked by a reporter about whether the bill would have to be pulled from the floor again for lack of support, McCarthy replied: "Would you have confidence? We're going to pass it. We're going to pass it. Let's be optimistic about life."

McCarthy cited an insurer pulling out of the ObamaCare exchanges in Iowa Wednesday as a reason the law needs to be quickly repealed.

"That's why we have to make sure this passes. To save these people from ObamaCare, which continues to collapse."

The Upton amendment would provide $8 billion over five years to help people with pre-existing conditions afford their premiums in states that are granted a waiver from ObamaCare’s protections.

The House will vote without waiting for a new Congressional Budget Office (CBO) analysis of Upton's changes or the amendment from Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-N.J.) that won over the House Freedom Caucus. That analysis will eventually provide insight into the bill's effects on coverage and its cost.

The MacArthur amendment set off moderates' concerns, because it allows states to waive ObamaCare protections that prevent people from being charged higher premiums based on their health. If those were repealed, insurers could go back to charging exorbitant premiums to sick people, which could put coverage out of reach for many.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/331851-house-to-vote-thursday-on-obamacare-repeal
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:46:34 pm by mystery-ak »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Must be FAKE NEWS, the headline does not reflect the reality of the situation.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I've have a busy day @corbe .... so I may have missed an update.  What's the reality of situation?

Thanks.

Offline corbe

Ok, I'll play @Right_in_Virginia  My obvious attempt at wit failed me, again, What they are voting on tomorrow (if they do), is NOT the Repeal of obummercare, they (House) are voting on renaming it to TrumpCare.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ok, I'll play @Right_in_Virginia  My obvious attempt at wit failed me, again, What they are voting on tomorrow (if they do), is NOT the Repeal of obummercare, they (House) are voting on renaming it to TrumpCare.

Oh, okay @corbe   I did miss the wit.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Oh, okay @corbe   I did miss the wit.

Thanks for the reply.

^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Victoria33

@corbe

It's fake but it is true.  It is 7:07 pm, central time, and the news station is covering this right now - they ARE voting on it tomorrow.  They had two Republicans go over to the "yes" side today, so they think they have the votes to pass.  I think these two are over the number they need to pass it.  However, no one can be assured some Republicans won't bolt tomorrow with "no" votes and it fails.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

True dat.  And, you are very witty.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Trump could come out and say: "Democrats want ObamaCare.  The Moderate Republicans want ObamaCare and so do the Blue Dog Republicans.  Majority Rules, ObamaCare stays and we'll just watch it collapse into itself like a black hole."

Offline corbe

Trump could come out and say: "Democrats want ObamaCare.  The Moderate Republicans want ObamaCare and so do the Blue Dog Republicans.  Majority Rules, ObamaCare stays and we'll just watch it collapse into itself like a black hole."

true dat @Hondo69 , Forever sucking money from the US Treasury.

Offline Mesaclone

This bill is what was possible, not what is perfect....more importantly, it is just phase 1 of 3 so much more is yet to come in terms of both repeal AND replace. This attitude of we must have EVERYTHING we want, or we'll accept nothing...is just defeatism in a shallow guise. Wake up...reality in a Republic is that compromise is the ONLY way to move forward....and its certainly the only way to move the country back to the right.

A president achieves what is achievable in legislation, and given the current congress, President Trump has worked a virtual miracle...on this issue and many others. The President's supporters have never expected him to win every fight, nor to get his way in everything (because we are realists...and...well...not stupid), but they know he will fight like a Tasmanian Devil to get the most that can possible be achieved in terms of his campaign promises/policy goals. He is doing more for conservatism and the American people than anyone since Reagan...so for goodness sakes fellow conservatives, if you can't help the man move the country towards genuine fiscal  conservatism AT LEAST get the hell out of his way.

Some key improvements/deletions:

Out: Insurance tax credits based on age, income, and geography

Out: A mandate to buy insurance or pay a fine

Out: Medicaid expansion

Out: An excise tax on medical device manufacturers

Out: A surtax on investment income and a payroll tax hike

In: Young adults can stay on parents’ insurance until age 26

In: Medicaid block-grants to states

In: Insurance tax credits based only on age

We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Mesaclone

Sure. That would feel good. And it would result in a Democratic landslide in 2018 and 2020...and an even more radical shift of this country to the Left. Other than that, great plan.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Sure. That would feel good. And it would result in a Democratic landslide in 2018 and 2020...and an even more radical shift of this country to the Left. Other than that, great plan.

0bamacare imploding would cause a shift to the left?

Offline Mesaclone

0bamacare imploding would cause a shift to the left?

Failing to put forward a better plan and ensure that the US healthcare system itself doesn't implode will result in an acceptance that Republicans cannot govern...and that while Obamacare was a disaster, Republican governance could do nothing to avert it. We would, by extension, be perceived as having let down the little guy...the working poor, Union households, small businesses, etcetera. Whether or not that's fair...and it isn't...that would be the general perception, and its a narrative the MSM could push to disastrous effect on the GOP. So yes, it would cost us the next few elections.

Do you really think that the narrative on a collapsing Obamacare would be anything other than its the Republicans fault for failing to govern effectively? That's naive...such a narrative would be baloney, as we all know, but it would be devastatingly effective for the Left. We can't hand that weapon to them, if we do we will pay a huge electoral price.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:52:59 am by Mesaclone »

Offline libertybele

This bill is what was possible, not what is perfect....more importantly, it is just phase 1 of 3 so much more is yet to come in terms of both repeal AND replace. This attitude of we must have EVERYTHING we want, or we'll accept nothing...is just defeatism in a shallow guise. Wake up...reality in a Republic is that compromise is the ONLY way to move forward....and its certainly the only way to move the country back to the right.

A president achieves what is achievable in legislation, and given the current congress, President Trump has worked a virtual miracle...on this issue and many others. The President's supporters have never expected him to win every fight, nor to get his way in everything (because we are realists...and...well...not stupid), but they know he will fight like a Tasmanian Devil to get the most that can possible be achieved in terms of his campaign promises/policy goals. He is doing more for conservatism and the American people than anyone since Reagan...so for goodness sakes fellow conservatives, if you can't help the man move the country towards genuine fiscal  conservatism AT LEAST get the hell out of his way.

Do you have a link for all those in's and out's?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bolobaby

Bruce Jenner calling himself a woman doesn't make him a woman.

The GOP calling this a repeal doesn't make it a repeal.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

This bill is what was possible...

You and I have extremely different views of what is actually *possible* when you have:

A) Principles
B) Political Will
C) Balls

Something apparently our current leadership lacks in all categories.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Mesaclone

You and I have extremely different views of what is actually *possible* when you have:

A) Principles
B) Political Will
C) Balls

Something apparently our current leadership lacks in all categories.

The President has to work with the congress he has, not the one we wish he had. So yes, the nature of congress limits what is possible....they are what they are. That being the case, he must push them as far as they can be pushed...which is precisely what he has done. More is not possible. You can't turn lead to gold...with principle, political will or even balls. Lead is lead.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Thank you for a good explanation of what the bill does and doesn't do.

I hope it passes.  I do believe it is... one:  a good first step, and two: maybe the best we can get right now.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The President has to work with the congress he has, not the one we wish he had. So yes, the nature of congress limits what is possible....they are what they are. That being the case, he must push them as far as they can be pushed...which is precisely what he has done. More is not possible. You can't turn lead to gold...with principle, political will or even balls. Lead is lead.

Sorry to say that some people on this board start every opinion with Trump hate.  It really has a negative effect on their ability to correctly assess reality.

I would almost venture to say that Trump hate has these people in such a vice that they look for evil instead of good if it can be used against Trump.

Trump is far from a perfect leader but to reject this bill because it is not perfect and because its flaws can be attributed (even unfairly) to Trump is just flat out crazy.

Offline corbe

Sorry to say that some people on this board start every opinion with Trump hate.  It really has a negative effect on their ability to correctly assess reality.

I would almost venture to say that Trump hate has these people in such a vice that they look for evil instead of good if it can be used against Trump.

Trump is far from a perfect leader but to reject this bill because it is not perfect and because its flaws can be attributed (even unfairly) to Trump is just flat out crazy.

@Emjay what you say is only somewhat true, very few Briefers have a 'Hate Trump' first mentality, you're painting with a broad brush.
    I would respectfully admit that quite a few of us here don't see any possibility of ever liking the Man-mainly because of actually knowing about him long before he announced his candidacy.   
    Fortunately for me, none of this is 'UNEXPECTED', but great to discuss with you, my dear friend.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   @Emjay what you say is only somewhat true, very few Briefers have a 'Hate Trump' first mentality, you're painting with a broad brush.
    I would respectfully admit that quite a few of us here don't see any possibility of ever liking the Man-mainly because of actually knowing about him long before he announced his candidacy.   
    Fortunately for me, none of this is 'UNEXPECTED', but great to discuss with you, my dear friend.

I probably am, but unqualified Trump hate is just the other side of the coin from unqualified Trump worship.  Neither attitude lets us view things dispassionately.

And I don't expect to like him but I am open to being pleased if he does something good.  That's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
By the way, Louie Gohmert is for this plan.

“This is meaningful. This will make a difference in people's lives –bring down premiums. We just need to take the vote and do it.” - Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01)

Offline Frank Cannon

True dat.  And, you are very witty.

More like nit witty.