Author Topic: This Spending deal has border wall money after all, says Trump budget chief Mulvaney  (Read 942 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WASHINGTON TIMES

URL: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/2/white-house-spending-deal-has-border-wall-money/

By S.A. Miller - The Washington Times - Tuesday, May 2, 2017

President Trump didn’t get funding for a brick-and-mortar border wall in the spending deal with Democrats — but he got money to build a 20-foot-high steel wall, the White House budget chief said Tuesday.

“That’s what we got in this deal and that’s what Democrats don’t want you to know,” Mick Mulvaney, director of the president’s budget office, said at the daily White House press briefing.

There’s several hundred of millions of dollars for us to replace cyclone fencing with 20-foot high steel wall,” he said, pointing to a photograph of an existing stretch of the towering steel barrier along the southern border.

We are building this now,” he said.

The administration has been aggressively pushing back against Capitol Hill Democrats‘ claim of besting Mr. Trump in the spending negotiations, and blocking funds to build a border wall tops their list of victories.

Mr. Mulvaney said Democrats glossed over the gains in the deal for Mr. Trump’s priority of cracking down on illegal immigration.

The $1.5 billion increase in Homeland Security spending, pushing total spending for the department to more than $42 billion.

“That’s where this negotiation has taken us — to the largest increase in border security in 10 years,” he said.

The structure referenced by Mr. Mulvaney, which consists of rows of steel pylons capped with a concrete band, is the “fence” that been erected along the border in some place.

In some spots where the barrier is incomplete, there are cyclone fences.

The spending deal, which is expected to get passed by Congress and signed by the president this week, also included funds for levy walls on rivers at the border, he said.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Spending deal has border wall money after all, says Trump budget chief
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:18:35 pm »
President Trump didn’t get funding for a brick-and-mortar border wall in the spending deal with Democrats — but he got money to build a 20-foot-high steel wall, the White House budget chief said Tuesday.

“That’s what we got in this deal and that’s what Democrats don’t want you to know,” Mick Mulvaney, director of the president’s budget office, said at the daily White House press briefing.

“There’s several hundred of millions of dollars for us to replace cyclone fencing with 20-foot high steel wall,” he said, pointing to a photograph of an existing stretch of the towering steel barrier along the southern border.

“We are building this now,” he said.

The administration has been aggressively pushing back against Capitol Hill Democrats‘ claim of besting Mr. Trump in the spending negotiations, and blocking funds to build a border wall tops their list of victories.

Mr. Mulvaney said Democrats glossed over the gains in the deal for Mr. Trump’s priority of cracking down on illegal immigration.....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/2/white-house-spending-deal-has-border-wall-money/?utm_source=onesignal&utm_campaign=pushnotify&utm_medium=push

Well, not enough, but it admittedly is something.

geronl

replacing a small section of fence with a steel wall is hardly a major victory

Offline skeeter

replacing a small section of fence with a steel wall is hardly a major victory

Yeah I don't think this is exactly the kind of magnificent border wall voters had in mind.

geronl

Is he a comedian or something?

Offline libertybele

Is he a comedian or something?

You're confusing 'comedian' with 'chameleon'.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
skeeter wrote:
"Yeah I don't think this is exactly the kind of magnificent border wall voters had in mind."

A 20-foot-high steel barrier is going to be sturdier and more effective than cyclone fencing.

When the Berlin Wall was built, it started out rough, as well.
Then the East Germans refined and reconstructed it to make it more effective and all-but impenetrable. And amazingly, it worked.
I was there.
I saw it, and went -through- it.

Like dealing with obamacare, the road to the destination is rough and rocky.
But the obstacles can be dealt with, if we keep trying.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
So they are taking credit for the secure fence act as though it was their proposal. Called this months ago

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Exactly, as usual, the press lies to us. It's limited funding but it's a start. So much for those gloating that it would never be funded. Spicer said so in the daily press conference as well.

Offline Frank Cannon

So they are taking credit for the secure fence act as though it was their proposal. Called this months ago

Oh yeah? You also called that Charo would marry Tom Arnold before the end of 2016. How'd that turn out?

Offline endicom

Exactly, as usual, the press lies to us. It's limited funding but it's a start. So much for those gloating that it would never be funded. Spicer said so in the daily press conference as well.

The fence needs to be where it needs to be and that's where illegals cross into the US. I figured that out all be myself.

Offline DiogenesLamp

skeeter wrote:
"Yeah I don't think this is exactly the kind of magnificent border wall voters had in mind."

A 20-foot-high steel barrier is going to be sturdier and more effective than cyclone fencing.

When the Berlin Wall was built, it started out rough, as well.
Then the East Germans refined and reconstructed it to make it more effective and all-but impenetrable. And amazingly, it worked.
I was there.
I saw it, and went -through- it.

Like dealing with obamacare, the road to the destination is rough and rocky.
But the obstacles can be dealt with, if we keep trying.

You escaped from East Germany? 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —