Author Topic: Trump: 'Why was there the Civil War?'  (Read 14443 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: 'Why was there the Civil War?'
« on: May 01, 2017, 04:09:08 pm »
By Rebecca Savransky - 05/01/17 09:03 AM EDT

President Trump during an interview that airs Monday questioned why the country had a Civil War and suggested former President Andrew Jackson could have prevented it had he served later.
"I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart," Trump said during an interview with the Washington Examiner's Salena Zito.

"He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said, 'There's no reason for this.'"

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/331349-trump-why-was-there-the-civil-war
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online kevindavis007

Re: Trump: 'Why was there the Civil War?'
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 04:14:18 pm »
Jackson was not a great President..  Fact...

The reason why there was Civil War cause a bunch of morons who wanted to keep people as property started it.  End of story..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »
He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart....

Unless you happened to be an Indian. 

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 04:16:35 pm »
The reason why there was Civil War cause a bunch of morons who wanted to keep people as property started it.  End of story..

I don't think Lincoln wanted to keep people as property when he invaded the South.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:04 pm »
Also, the Panic of 1837 happened as well..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 04:17:45 pm »
I don't think Lincoln wanted to keep people as property when he invaded the South.

The Rebels fired the first shot..

Online kevindavis007

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:21:28 pm »
Jackson was not a great President..  Fact...

Lots of people were seen as heroic at the time but hindsight proves them to be scumbags.

I live near "Napoleon" in "Jackson" county. Named after 2 dictatorial scumbags. Fortunately I live in a town named after Michigan's first senator and correspondent of Thomas Jefferson.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 04:29:01 pm »
Lots of people were seen as heroic at the time but hindsight proves them to be scumbags.

I live near "Napoleon" in "Jackson" county. Named after 2 dictatorial scumbags. Fortunately I live in a town named after Michigan's first senator and correspondent of Thomas Jefferson.

Nice... The reality is this, Jackson was not a good President. End of Story..

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 04:29:31 pm »
Jackson wasn't around for this country's civil war, not even close.  Is this quote taken out of context, or is it another example of something we are supposed to overlook, lest Hillary returns to eat our children?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:19 pm »
What was the date the Civil War began?

What was the date Lincoln gave the Emancipation Proclamation?

The war was NOT about slavery - Until Lincoln was losing support from the Northeast for continuing to force the Confederacy back into the Union.  THEN he made it about slavery to make it a MORAL issue rather than the issue of self-determination and taxation of property which is how the entire war got started. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:39 pm »
Jackson wasn't around for this country's civil war, not even close.  Is this quote taken out of context, or is it another example of something we are supposed to overlook, lest Hillary returns to eat our children?

Oh, thank you for the laugh.  I have been so afraid that Hillary hungered for my first born.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 04:32:39 pm »
By Rebecca Savransky - 05/01/17 09:03 AM EDT

President Trump during an interview that airs Monday questioned why the country had a Civil War and suggested former President Andrew Jackson could have prevented it had he served later.
"I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart," Trump said during an interview with the Washington Examiner's Salena Zito.

"He was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War, he said, 'There's no reason for this.'"

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/331349-trump-why-was-there-the-civil-war

Andrew Jackson; big heart? 

Do they supply meth for Presidents because that statement is really methed up.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 04:33:39 pm »
Unless you happened to be an Indian.

Or Mormon, or someone he owed debt to, or the husband of a woman he wanted to court... and so on and so on..

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 04:34:25 pm »
"I mean had Andrew Jackson been a little bit later you wouldn't have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart,"

....and if Oswald wasn't in Dallas..... :shrug:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 04:34:45 pm »
What was the date the Civil War began?

What was the date Lincoln gave the Emancipation Proclamation?

The war was NOT about slavery - Until Lincoln was losing support from the Northeast for continuing to force the Confederacy back into the Union.  THEN he made it about slavery to make it a MORAL issue rather than the issue of self-determination and taxation of property which is how the entire war got started.

Yes it was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcy7qV-BGF4

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 04:36:39 pm »

I imagine Trump must have had some sort of point in mind when he tossed this particular word salad, but my goodness -- what a mess!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 04:39:09 pm »

I believe its Trump's typically clumsy way of referring to how Jackson handled the issue of states rights as president during the crisis with South Carolina in the 1830s.

As inarticulate as he is I'm sure his critics will continue to have a field day every day for the next three years and 9 months.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 04:39:33 pm »

Jackson would have loved modern democrats. He was a political wheeler and dealer.

In settling the Toledo Strip war he thought he was screwing the Michigan territory in favor of Ohio. He promised Toledo to Ohio if they would deliver the vote for the democrats and Michigan would get that useless upper peninsula. Ohio did vote democrat in that election but democrats lost the white house and the upper peninsula quickly proved to be spectacularly rich in natural resources.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 04:40:35 pm »

I'm sorry, but Trump is breathtakingly ignorant of American history, considering Andy passed away in 1845.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 04:45:26 pm »
I'm sorry, but Trump is breathtakingly ignorant of American history, considering Andy passed away in 1845.

I think what Trump is trying to say that if Jackson was alive and POTUS at the time of the Civil War it never would have happened..
Support the USO

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »

The Rebels fired the first shot..

You blame homeowners who shoot intruders, too, eh?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 04:49:45 pm »

Yes it was:

Damn yankees are always going to believe it was all about slavery and nothing else. 

Even if correspondence, Minutes, Diary writings and speeches declare it otherwise.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 04:50:54 pm »
I think what Trump is trying to say that if Jackson was alive and POTUS at the time of the Civil War it never would have happened..

I'm sure you're right, but I don't trust people whose deep thoughts can only fit in the space of 140 characters.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.