Author Topic: Sen. Rand Paul: Congress should consider not sending money to colleges with 'one set of speech'  (Read 306 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sen. Rand Paul: Congress should consider not sending money to colleges with 'one set of speech'
By Andrew Kaczynski, CNN
Updated 5:20 PM ET, Thu April 27, 2017

(CNN)Republican Sen. Rand Paul said Thursday that Congress should consider withholding funds from universities with only "one set of speech."

Appearing on the Laura Ingraham show, Paul was asked about recent controversies at UC Berkeley over free speech. Conservative commentator Ann Coulter's speech at the school was canceled this week over security concerns.

Ingraham specifically asked if the federal government should "impound" the funds that go to universities like Berkeley.

"I don't think that impounding funds is probably going to pass muster, but I think that Congress and the people who appropriate the money, we should think about whether we should be sending money to universities that only have one set of speech," the Kentucky Republican said.

Continued: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/27/politics/kfile-rand-paul-university-funding/index.html

Amen, nothing will probably get done in the near future but at least the ball is starting to roll on this. No sympathy to Coulter or some of the others out there. However, there are plenty of mild examples of freedom of speech being violated on campus.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They need to go much farther. Govt money should only go to core majors, i.e. majors that have application in the real world job market.

Anything outside that is privately funded, and they must be accounted and spent for separately. No slush funding.

Then tie the free speech and other riders to the funds.
The Republic is lost.