Author Topic: Senators Call on Mattis to Buy More Littoral Combat Ships  (Read 664 times)

rangerrebew

Senators Call on Mattis to Buy More Littoral Combat Ships

Military.com | 28 Apr 2017 | by Hope Hodge Seck

A bipartisan group of U.S. senators from four different states is calling on Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to find the money for three new littoral combat ships in next year's defense budget.

In a letter sent Friday, the eight senators representing Alabama, Michigan, Florida and Wisconsin petitioned Mattis to keep to the LCS requirement in the Navy's December 2016 Force Structure Assessment. The list includes Sens. Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio of Florida; Richard Shelby and Luther Strange of Alabama; Tammy Baldwin and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin; and Gary Peters and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/04/28/senators-call-mattis-buy-more-littoral-combat-ships.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:49:42 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Senators Call on Mattis to Buy More Littoral Combat Ships
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:40:26 am »
Not a good idea until they make the ones they have now work properly and stop breaking down.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 05:35:24 am »
Not a good idea until they make the ones they have now work properly and stop breaking down.
I am aware of the LCS problems, and it seems the more recent ships have troubles. What's up with that, especially the propulsion problems? Something like that should be intentionally over-engineered in terms of strength and durability.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:49:12 am »
I am aware of the LCS problems, and it seems the more recent ships have troubles. What's up with that, especially the propulsion problems? Something like that should be intentionally over-engineered in terms of strength and durability.

Cutting edge tech is rarely super reliable.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:40 am »
Cutting edge tech is rarely super reliable.
Usually it is best to get the serious bugs out before you go into production.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:52 am »
Usually it is best to get the serious bugs out before you go into production.

Or at least until the ships can make it back to the dock.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.