Author Topic: Pope Francis: Tensions between US, North Korea 'too hot'  (Read 487 times)

Offline corbe

Pope Francis: Tensions between US, North Korea 'too hot'
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »
Pope Francis: Tensions between US, North Korea 'too hot'

By Olivia Beavers - 04/30/17 04:35 PM EDT

Pope Francis urged the United States and North Korea to use diplomacy to prevent the escalating military crisis, warning on Saturday that “a good part of humanity” is at stake.

“I call on them, and I will call on them, as I have on leaders of different places, to work to resolve their problems through diplomatic avenues,” the pope said during a press conference aboard his plane, as he prepared to return to Rome after a trip to Egypt.

The religious leader said the escalating tensions between Washington and Pyongyang could destroy “a good part of humanity and culture.”

“We are talking about the future of humanity. Today, a widespread war would destroy -- I would not say half of humanity -- but a good part of humanity, and of culture, everything, everything,” the pontiff continued. “It would be terrible. I don’t think that humanity today would be able to withstand it.”

He noted that North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs are not a new development, adding that “things have gotten too hot.”

The pope also called on the United Nations to resume “its leadership, because it’s been watered down.”

Pope Francis said leaders from other countries are willing serve as mediators and work to resolve the differences between the U.S. and North Korea, naming Norway as one example.

“There are so many facilitators in the world, there are mediators who offer themselves, such as Norway for example. It is always ready to help. That is just one but there are many,” Pope Francis said.

The pontiff’s comments come after Trump told Reuters in an interview that the U.S. could “end up having a major, major conflict with North Korea.”

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/331317-pope-francis-tensions-between-us-north-korea-are-too-hot

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online DB

Re: Pope Francis: Tensions between US, North Korea 'too hot'
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:52:11 pm »
I thought the Pope was suppose to be a religious leader and not a political one??? There is no "diplomatic" solution available when working with the truly evil bent on larger levels of destruction. You either stop them or you let them continue.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:58 pm »
I thought the Pope was suppose to be a religious leader and not a political one??? There is no "diplomatic" solution available when working with the truly evil bent on larger levels of destruction. You either stop them or you let them continue.
Some of the RCs I know regard the Pope as a complete dope.  I prefer the "gentler" term heretic.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:54:43 pm »
Ah yes, the old and tired, tie-dyed hippie peace-at-any-cost schtick. Unfortunately it just emboldens Commies and Muslims.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 11:55:58 pm »
Once again the pope needs to Pray more and talk Less.