Author Topic: My father was murdered by a terrorist weeks before Lee Rigby. You've probably never heard of him  (Read 722 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My father was murdered by a terrorist weeks before Lee Rigby. You've probably never heard of him
Maz Saleem   Friday 28 April 2017 13:54 UTC

Four years ago in England, my 82-year-old father, Mohammed Saleem, was walking home from the mosque in Small Heath, Birmingham, down the road he had lived on for more than 30 years, when he was stabbed three times from behind and murdered.

Pavlo Lapshyn, a Ukrainian neo-Nazi who had been in the UK less than a week, had followed my father home, allegedly targeting him because he was brown and dressed like a Muslim.

My father was educated and very political, especially when it came to Pakistani politics. He worked as a baker when he arrived in the UK in the 1950s. He was also a trade unionist. He worked extremely hard: he did double and triple shifts at the bakery to feed his family and he gave more than he ever received.

There are millions like my father - Irish, Russian, Jewish, Eastern European - who have all come here to work and to seek a better life for their families. This country has been nourished and built by immigrants and we must never ever forget that.

But we must also not forget that racism has always played the role of dividing people, and we should oppose it.

Continued: http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/my-father-was-murdered-being-muslim-four-years-later-islamophobia-worse-ever-112286870

An interesting story, I do believe I had heard of this. This isn't to garner sympathy for Muslims but it's a good read. Middle East Eye, yes, seems to have a liberal bias.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Why, given his history as a fascist, did the British embassy in Ukraine support Lapshyn's application to come to a UK area densely populated with Muslims?

No tears from me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
All the more reason and justification to slow down refugee admissions, and vastly improve screening and vetting practices.

Indeed the temporary suspension that President Trump seeks to impose on certain nations, is to insure we have full cooperation with sending nations, as to data and sources regarding national security risks.

Had the UK had such a procedure with this Ukrainian terrorist they would likely not have likely admitted him.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
All the more reason and justification to slow down refugee admissions, and vastly improve screening and vetting practices.

Indeed the temporary suspension that President Trump seeks to impose on certain nations, is to insure we have full cooperation with sending nations, as to data and sources regarding national security risks.

Had the UK had such a procedure with this Ukrainian terrorist they would likely not have likely admitted him.

Why let moslems into predominantly Christian countries? That is my argument.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

Why let moslems into predominantly Christian countries? That is my argument.
It appears matters have gone past that point. Since we have and continue to admit them, practical pragmatic attitudes and procedures need to be used.

I have known a local muslim businessman, for about 45 years. He was Palestinian but served in Vietnam, combat, Sargent E5.

He is an American and well respected for his civic life. His son is learning his business. The wife/Mom wears a small headcover.

One of the most hardworking people I have known.

I do not think he wants to blow us up. I think he wants a fair shake for his fellow Palestinians.

For 45 years we can talk, not scream or hit each other. We smile, shake hands, he says hello to my wife. We are sincerely cordial.

Other muslims are likewise prominent well known business people in our city-center (beach).

Same goes for some Copts, too. I think none of us want the "troubles" brought here.

Online DB

It appears matters have gone past that point. Since we have and continue to admit them, practical pragmatic attitudes and procedures need to be used.

I have known a local muslim businessman, for about 45 years. He was Palestinian but served in Vietnam, combat, Sargent E5.

He is an American and well respected for his civic life. His son is learning his business. The wife/Mom wears a small headcover.

One of the most hardworking people I have known.

I do not think he wants to blow us up. I think he wants a fair shake for his fellow Palestinians.

For 45 years we can talk, not scream or hit each other. We smile, shake hands, he says hello to my wife. We are sincerely cordial.

Other muslims are likewise prominent well known business people in our city-center (beach).

Same goes for some Copts, too. I think none of us want the "troubles" brought here.

Can you name any country where Muslims have reached critical mass and not suppressed/enslaved its non Muslims?

Offline truth_seeker

Can you name any country where Muslims have reached critical mass and not suppressed/enslaved its non Muslims?

Your solution in practical terms? In terms of what can really be done with the citizens, voters, Constitution, judicial system in America now?

Did you support Trump, who took the strongest stand regarding admission of dangerous people?  If not, why not?