Author Topic: Sen. Ted Cruz: Another Supreme Court vacancy coming ‘very soon’  (Read 3833 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By David Sherfinski - The Washington Times - Friday, April 28, 2017

ATLANTA — Sen. Ted Cruz on Friday teased another looming U.S. Supreme Court vacancy, saying there’s a good chance there will be a chance for gun-rights activists to mobilize on the issue once more either this summer or next.

“I believe very soon we’re going to see another vacancy,” Mr. Cruz told attendees at the National Rifle Association lobbying arm’s “Leadership Forum” in Atlanta.

more
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/28/ted-cruz-teases-supreme-court-vacancy-very-soon/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Sen. Ted Cruz: Another Supreme Court vacancy coming ‘very soon’
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:26:56 pm »
I wonder what date he's down for in the Ginsburg Death Pool?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:30:25 pm »

Kennedy will anounce his retirement in June.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »

That's my guess, too.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:49:01 pm »

And an opportunity to pick up "1/2" of a seat for conservatism.

But such a pickup depends on the ability to predict where a justice will wander.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:33 pm »
And an opportunity to pick up "1/2" of a seat for conservatism.

But such a pickup depends on the ability to predict where a justice will wander.

It's also an opportunity to blow it.  There's a lot of pressure to renominate Garland, and if he does wave goodbye to the "swing vote" as it become "reliably liberal."  Having said that, I have to add I have no idea what he'll do.  I hope he goes back to "the list" for a nominee, and doesn't play cute with "trying to maintain the balance of the SCOTUS." 

"Balance" is bullshit, I want a court that adheres to the Constitution, not a super-legislature as they are now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 09:32:57 pm »

Doesn't matter...they're just going to prop her cob-webbed corpse up in her chair until the next Dem President rolls in...it will be Weekend at Bernie's on the Bench.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:08 pm »
Well his family does have a history of high profile assassinations..... :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 10:01:15 pm »
Well his family does have a history of high profile assassinations..... :silly:

Zero confidence that Ivanka and Jared won't get to pick this one...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 10:06:46 pm »
Doesn't matter...they're just going to prop her cob-webbed corpse up in her chair until the next Dem President rolls in...it will be Weekend at Bernie's on the Bench.

She's already doing the Bernie thing.  She sleeps through everything, may as well be dead already.  Her decisions have all been slept-walked since she was first sworn in anyway, so it's not like anybody notices.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 10:18:48 pm »
Serious question.

Does anyone know what the constitutional procedures are for an incapacitated justice? I honestly do not know, and i'm curious what would happen if a justice had a stroke or other mentally disabling event.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »
That's my guess, too.

More likely than Ruth.  She will never retire... I think she's proved that already.  She does not sleep all the time, but often enough to get her picture taken and that's too often.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 10:34:59 pm »
Serious question.

Does anyone know what the constitutional procedures are for an incapacitated justice? I honestly do not know, and i'm curious what would happen if a justice had a stroke or other mentally disabling event.

At the risk of being told that, since I'm not a "Constitutional Scholar" like Barack Obama, I shouldn't speak on the subject, it would appear the Constitution is silent on the matter beyond shall serve "in good behaviour."  I would suppose, then, the only recourse would be to impeach the incapacitated Justice.  In the meantime, it would be impossible for such a Justice to indicate how he/she is deciding, so it would be effectively an abstention and the Court would have only eight Justices.

YMMV.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:51 pm »
More likely than Ruth.  She will never retire... I think she's proved that already.  She does not sleep all the time, but often enough to get her picture taken and that's too often.

I agree with you.  She leaves office feet first, toes up.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 10:43:57 pm »

She hasn't written an opinion ever.  All she does is tell her clerks what the opinion is and they do all the work.

Much like how "science" works today in many quarters.  Decide what the desired result is and then make up whaever you need to prop it up.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
At the risk of being told that, since I'm not a "Constitutional Scholar" like Barack Obama, I shouldn't speak on the subject

Quit with the snowflake routine already.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 11:52:26 pm »
Quit with the snowflake routine already.

Sorry, it comes naturally when dealing with jerks who tell people to shut up because they're stupid.  I'll be more than happy to do it again, should the opportunity present.  Sorry if it hurt your widdle feewings.

I noticed you didn't address the substance of my post, which required a little research.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:53:13 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »

The proper message to the progressive/communist left...would be kegan/soto in restful repose .. tidy sheets and all.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 12:00:03 am »
Sorry, it comes naturally when dealing with jerks who tell people to shut up because they're stupid.  I'll be more than happy to do it again, should the opportunity present.  Sorry if it hurt your widdle feewings.

I noticed you didn't address the substance of my post, which required a little research.

Nobody called you stupid, just pointed out that you should perhaps...at least...listen to folks who have direct experience with the thing you're discussing. Why so dramatic and defensive? As for my wilddle feewings, they are quite undamaged at this point.

The substance of your post was very helpful, as I admittedly had no clue regarding the constitutional procedures for an incapacitated judge.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:02:31 am by Mesaclone »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 12:03:34 am »
Serious question.

I think only impeachment. One would think that the justices would understand the need for a living will with the provision of some sort relaying that in the event they are incapacitated that after a certain or reasonable amount of time they would automatically be retired.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fantom

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 12:14:32 am »

The substance of your post was very helpful, as I admittedly had no clue regarding the constitutional procedures for an incapacitated judge.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiii

"
Article III
Section 1.

The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office."

Congress is the deciding factor in this.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 12:14:57 am »
Nobody called you stupid, just pointed out that you should perhaps...at least...listen to folks who have direct experience with the thing you're discussing. Why so dramatic and defensive? As for my wilddle feewings, they are quite undamaged at this point.

Mine are as undamaged as yours.   Let's make peace.

And as it turns out, there is no provision for dealing with somebody as out of it as Ginsburg.  Meh.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 12:16:38 am »

And as it turns out, there is no provision for dealing with somebody as out of it as Ginsburg.  Meh.

Actually..Congress can remove.

Frederick Douglass

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 12:17:27 am »

Then the fix would be a Constitutional Amendment. Which in these times would be a real horror show.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 12:19:14 am »

OK.