Author Topic: Students Demand Christian University Embrace ‘Gender Identity’ Theory  (Read 3554 times)

rangerrebew

Students Demand Christian University Embrace ‘Gender Identity’ Theory

Amber Randall
11:42 AM 04/27/2017

Seattle Pacific University (SPU) students held a protest last week against their Christian university’s decision to view sexuality through a biblical perspective.

SPU Haven, a club acting as a safe space for gay students, put up posters against their university’s biblical views on human sexuality as a part of the “Day of Silence,” reports the College Fix.

The “Day of Silence” is a national event hosted by college and high school students to show how bullying affects the gay community.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/27/students-demand-christian-university-embrace-gender-identity-theory/#ixzz4fXk8ANFF

geronl

They should go to college elsewhere

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The war on Christianity continues...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The war on Christianity continues...

That is, if you consider a peaceful protest a "war".   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That is, if you consider a peaceful protest a "war".
It's all part of the same movement, Jazzy. Lawsuits are "peaceful", too, but destructive, nonetheless. Just because it isn't down to shooting, doesn't mean it isn't a war.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's all part of the same movement, Jazzy. Lawsuits are "peaceful", too, but destructive, nonetheless. Just because it isn't down to shooting, doesn't mean it isn't a war.

Huh?   This was a peaceful protest, not a lawsuit.   I actually clicked on the article a second time, wondering if I'd missed something about a lawsuit.  Nope, just a bunch of posters and a "day of silence".

I'm puzzled why so many Christians insist on adopting the same victim meme as the left.   There is no "war" on Christianity (at least not in this country;  I'll grant you things aren't so great for the faithful in, say, Egypt and Syria).   To inflate peaceful protests like this as "war" on Christians comes across as whining.   Free speech is the value that must be defended, whether exercised by Anne Coulter or gay students at SPU.   

There ARE gays at SPU,  like everywhere else,  and like folks everywhere else,  they seek respect for who they are.   Christians deservedly draw criticism when they fixate and obsess over homosexuality when the real problems are infidelity, promiscuity, divorce and the breakdown of families.    Two gays living together hurts no one.   Straights who divorce, or procreate without marrying their partners,  devastate the life prospects for their children.    Christians should speak up about that,  and leave folks who can't even have children alone.     

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I don't care if its a peaceful protest or not. What  kind of simpleton goes to a Christian college then protests to demand that they embrace degeneracy?

rangerrebew

Christian university must celebrate ‘panromantic’ gender identity, LGBTQ students demand
Grace Curtis - Converse College •April 27, 2017

Unacceptable that new diversity official holds to ‘biblical standards’

Seattle Pacific University says it supports the right of its LGBTQ students to advocate against anti-gay actions and name-calling.

Its LGBTQ students want the evangelical university to go a step further, and affirm non-heterosexual practices and various gender identities.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Free speech is the value that must be defended, whether exercised by Anne Coulter or gay students at SPU.

I didn't see anything in the article about these students not having the ability to speak their opinion.

There ARE gays at SPU,  like everywhere else,  and like folks everywhere else,  they seek respect for who they are.   Christians deservedly draw criticism when they fixate and obsess over homosexuality when the real problems are infidelity, promiscuity, divorce and the breakdown of families.    Two gays living together hurts no one.   Straights who divorce, or procreate without marrying their partners,  devastate the life prospects for their children.    Christians should speak up about that,  and leave folks who can't even have children alone.   

The only people I see obsessing and fixating over homosexuality are homosexuals themselves.  Perhaps there is more to the story than what's covered in the article, but there is no evidence in the article that homosexual students have in any sense been excluded from fully participating in the programs of their university.  Is there some movement at that university to expel the homosexual students, lower their grades, or limit their participation in particular majors or extracurricular activities?  On the contrary, it appears that the university continues to accept students who reject the university's values and allows those students to speak their own values.  That's called "tolerance."

The issues you call out are real problems, but part of the Christian faith is accepting The Word of God on what are the real problems, and The Word is pretty clear that homosexuality is a real problem.  Check the first chapter of Romans.  No one is required to accept His Word in this life, but neither does anyone have the legitimate right to force others to reject His Word.  If the homosexual students at this university find the university's values to be in conflict with their own, they should continue their educations at any number of other universities whose values are more contemporary.
James 1:20

Offline mountaineer

If the homosexual students at this university find the university's values to be in conflict with their own, they should continue their educations at any number of other universities whose values are more contemporary.
Exactly. I went to a Christian university. I knew where they stood, I knew what the rules were. Had I wanted to attend a school that didn't share my beliefs, there were hundreds of other institutions available.

I just noticed this thread is in "Immigration."  :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:29:48 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

They should go to college elsewhere

Seriously.

Why go to a Christian University if you don't agree with viewing EVERYTHING from a Biblical perspective.

That's why Christian Universities exist.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mountaineer

Geez, they're in Seattle. How far away is UW, a few blocks?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Seriously.

Why go to a Christian University if you don't agree with viewing EVERYTHING from a Biblical perspective.

Yeah but going to liberal colleges doesn't advance the liberal gay agenda. Same reason they're all becoming college republicans.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Seriously.

Perhaps they prefer a Christian university's emphasis on classical education; such places likely teach, for example,  Latin and western civilization from a non-globalist perspective.    Here in Philly, it's common for non-Catholic parents to send their kids to Catholic school, where they know they'll be taught the three Rs in a disciplined learning environment.   I sent both my kids to a Quaker school because of their emphasis on ethics,  honesty and tolerance.   (They both turned out great, btw.)   

The big problem with public schools is that they don't incorporate values education, at least not of the sort I recognize as such.   I strongly support school choice so parents have the option of emphasizing values education.   

I oppose strongly Christian anti-homosexual dogma.   But that doesn't cause me to lose sight of the value of a Christian education.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:49:42 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline roamer_1

The big problem with public schools is that they don't incorporate values education, at least not of the sort I recognize as such.   I strongly support school choice so parents have the option of emphasizing values education.   

I oppose strongly Christian anti-homosexual dogma.   But that doesn't cause me to lose sight of the value of a Christian education.

:silly: :silly: :silly:

You're a laugh riot.

Offline Ancient

And I'm sure you support Christian bakers and photographers while shutting their businesses down and telling them it is not a war on Christianity....  and the banning of words like "mom" and "dad" at schools is yet another demonstration of how it is just about what goes on in a bed room.  When a former lesbian mayor of Houston tried to get a court order to supeona sermons from local churches... again, nothing to see here.  Universities are purging on-campus Christian groups for violation of their "non-discrimination" policies.  Of course most of those are old news, the newest things are policies by government sponsored entities (NCAA,  NFL) targeting states that have old fashion ideas regarding which bathroom someone should use.

In short, I don't buy your bs.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
And I'm sure you support Christian bakers and photographers while shutting their businesses down and telling them it is not a war on Christianity....  and the banning of words like "mom" and "dad" at schools is yet another demonstration of how it is just about what goes on in a bed room.  When a former lesbian mayor of Houston tried to get a court order to supeona sermons from local churches... again, nothing to see here.  Universities are purging on-campus Christian groups for violation of their "non-discrimination" policies.  Of course most of those are old news, the newest things are policies by government sponsored entities (NCAA,  NFL) targeting states that have old fashion ideas regarding which bathroom someone should use.

In short, I don't buy your bs.

And I don't buy yours.   You're just another obsessive over homosexuality;  why do you fear your neighbors who don't harm you in the slightest?   If you're a Christian, speak out about infidelity and divorce;  those are the practices that damage others (that is, innocent children),  and that are far more sinful and destructive than anything your neighbors may be doing behind closed doors that's none of your damn business.     

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten

You are completely entitled to cherry-pick what you want from Christian thought and leave behind what you don't want.  Neither you nor homosexual students at a Christian university are entitled to force the university, or other Christians, to offer Christian thought buffet-style.
James 1:20

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I don't care if its a peaceful protest or not. What  kind of simpleton goes to a Christian college then protests to demand that they embrace degeneracy?

Not a 'simpleton' - but a "Change Agent" that seeks to divide, conquer and reshape the Christianity into the sick, perverted, twisted, evil and demonic religion of the Hedonists/Secularists and Left.

That college should expel every single last one of those degenerates if they are a "Christian College" and not capitulate to providing safe spaces for abomination.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline skeeter

The LGBT racket with their dogma are the biggest "bullies" out there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:34:56 pm by skeeter »

Offline skeeter

And I don't buy yours.   You're just another obsessive over homosexuality;  why do you fear your neighbors who don't harm you in the slightest?   If you're a Christian, speak out about infidelity and divorce;  those are the practices that damage others (that is, innocent children),  and that are far more sinful and destructive than anything your neighbors may be doing behind closed doors that's none of your damn business.   

"what your neighbors are doing behind closed doors" - gads you sound like some sort of bloviating Rip van Winkle.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Your homosexual neighbors and their demonic agenda and perverted behavior is not content to stay within the confines of their own homes.  They (and you) demand others see, acknowledge, accept and even participate in the abomination and evil that you ascribe as "virtuous".  They demand Indoctrinating Children: "The Younger the Better".

If not, they engage in destroying individuals, businesses and intimidate with threats via their allies in government and media.  As a liberty issue - people like you and the homosexual mafia are every bit the enemies of God and liberty that the Marxist Left is.

As a Christian, I will speak out against people like you who pretend to be Christian and proclaim evil as a good, and denounce righteousness as an evil.  People like you and your homosexual neighbors and their sick-perverted agenda have MADE IT MY BUSINESS to oppose, resist, and cry aloud, spare not and proclaiming your sin to this people (Is 58:1).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:43:59 pm by INVAR »

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

"what your neighbors are doing behind closed doors" .

if they kept it behind closed doors none of this would be happening.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
if they kept it behind closed doors none of this would be happening.

And they will tell you that "Why should they be forced to stay in the closet and not be accepted by everyone else as deserving the same acknowledgment?"

They seek to normalize deviancy and get it accepted, while at the same time, working to denounce and expunge religion and mindsets that sear their consciences that what they are doing is perverted and sinful.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Your homosexual neighbors and their demonic agenda and perverted behavior is not content to stay within the confines of their own homes.  They (and you) demand others see, acknowledge, accept and even participate in the abomination and evil that you ascribe as "virtuous".  They demand Indoctrinating Children: "The Younger the Better".

If not, they engage in destroying individuals, businesses and intimidate with threats via their allies in government and media.  As a liberty issue - people like you and the homosexual mafia are every bit the enemies of God and liberty that the Marxist Left is.

As a Christian, I will speak out against people like you who pretend to be Christian and proclaim evil as a good, and denounce righteousness as an evil.  People like you and your homosexual neighbors and their sick-perverted agenda have MADE IT MY BUSINESS to oppose, resist, and cry aloud, spare not and proclaiming your sin to this people (Is 58:1).

*****rollingeyes*****     

If you're goal is to make Christians look like stark raving loonies,  you're succeeding.