Author Topic: A mastodon carcass could totally rewrite American history—but there's reason to be skeptical  (Read 727 times)

rangerrebew

A mastodon carcass could totally rewrite American history—but there's reason to be skeptical

CSI: Mastodon
By Eleanor Cummins 1 hour ago

A new research letter published today in the journal Nature makes a startling claim that, if correct, will rewrite everything we know about how North America was populated.

But in the the words of its own author, Steven Holen, the evidence he and his colleagues discovered “went against everything I’ve ever taught in my career about early humans in North America.”

http://www.popsci.com/america-hominin-mastodon
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:21:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I know conventional science doesn't like the idea of humans here prior to the last ice age but its worth consideration.

Its entirely possible that earlier migrations of humans just didn't survive.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:51:53 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I know conventional science doesn't like the idea of humans here prior to the last ice age but its worth consideration.

Its entirely possible that earlier migrations of humans just didn't survive.

I think they were here before the last ice age. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

At the end of the article it seems to suggest that they were here but went extinct. Its certainly feasible since we know that much more advanced people like the Vikings came and failed to thrive.

Offline r9etb

Not an unreasonable assumption; however, proof of the claim must deal with the matter of how they got here.  There wouldn't have been a land bridge, most likely, and so it would have taken a significant water journey, no matter where the crossing was made. 

And for a population of sustainable size to establish itself in the Americas would imply a substantial sea-going capability.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:14:57 pm by r9etb »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Not an unreasonable assumption; however, proof of the claim must deal with the matter of how they got here.  There wouldn't have been a land bridge, most likely, and so it would have taken a significant water journey, no matter where the crossing was made. 

And for a population of sustainable size to establish itself in the Americas would imply a substantial sea-going capability.

Yes, by sea.  Much like the early Australians.