Author Topic: Trump slaps first tariffs on Canadian lumber  (Read 980 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump slaps first tariffs on Canadian lumber
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:50:48 pm »
The Trump administration is hitting Canada with stiff tariffs of up to 24% on lumber shipped into the United States......

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/24/investing/canada-lumber-tariff-trump/index.html?sr=twcnni042517canada-lumber-tariff-trump0347AMVODtopLink&linkId=36863595

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump slaps first tariffs on Canadian lumber
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:59:32 pm »
In 2002, the U.S. imposed a 30% tariff on Canadian softwood lumber,

That's what I was looking for. CNN stuffs this pertinent fact all the way in the 30th paragraph.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:17:03 pm »
In 2002, the U.S. imposed a 30% tariff on Canadian softwood lumber,

That's what I was looking for. CNN stuffs this pertinent fact all the way in the 30th paragraph.

And that tariff spent a half decade in dispute, was thrown out, and ended up costing the US $5 Billion dollars and we created the Softwood Lumber Agreement w/ Canada agreeing not to raise tariffs.

https://www.thoughtco.com/softwood-lumber-dispute-introduction-1145890

So not only did it not work, we had to pay Canada $5 Billion.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:28 pm »
And that tariff spent a half decade in dispute, was thrown out, and ended up costing the US $5 Billion dollars and we created the Softwood Lumber Agreement w/ Canada agreeing not to raise tariffs.

https://www.thoughtco.com/softwood-lumber-dispute-introduction-1145890

So not only did it not work, we had to pay Canada $5 Billion.

LOL. THe $5 Billion was the tariff we collected since '02. It wasn't a fine or anything of the sort. It was part of the agreement we made with the Canadians in '06 that expired in '14. That's why we are back at this again.

The only people who were hurt in that tariff period were the Canadians. They lost tons of jobs as well they should for playing games with their stumping fees.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:14 pm »
Which means American consumers will pay more for lumber...

That bush did it is no excuse.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:31 pm »

You are aware that the Canadians are cheating on agreements that were made with the US. What do you want to have happen for countries shafting us? Just let them keep ripping us off so you can build cheap bird houses in your group therapy?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »
You are aware that the Canadians are cheating on agreements that were made with the US. What do you want to have happen for countries shafting us? Just let them keep ripping us off so you can build cheap bird houses in your group therapy?

How about we get our OWN damned house in order and then watch them try to keep up!  Getting rid of the Marxist income tax and the IRS by passing the Fairtax would be an EXCELLENT start!

http://fairtax.org

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:47 pm »

What Bush did was wrong. It is like the Simpsons did it argument on South Park.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »
How about we get our OWN damned house in order and then watch them try to keep up!  Getting rid of the Marxist income tax and the IRS by passing the Fairtax would be an EXCELLENT start!

Hell, we can't get our top marginal rates down without a nuclear war. Getting a Fairtax passed seems impossible.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:53:12 pm »
Hell, we can't get our top marginal rates down without a nuclear war. Getting a Fairtax passed seems impossible.

It is if WE don't demand it!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 02:54:06 pm »

Now that's just retarded Frank. Lumber is only used so snowflakes like me can build bird houses?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 02:54:58 pm »

What Bush did was wrong. It is like the Simpsons did it argument on South Park.

So the Canucks manipulating lumber prices because the govt' owns the trees unlike in the US should just continue until all the US manufacturers are priced out of business? That seems logical. Rather pay higher taxes to pay for the ex-lumberjacks on welfare than an extra 40 cents on a 2x4 until the Canucks stop cheating trade agreements.

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:08 pm »

Preaching to the choir, but like the 17th amendment and other such things, seem like a pipe dream in today's political reality.

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »
So the Canucks manipulating lumber prices because the govt' owns the trees unlike in the US should just continue until all the US manufacturers are priced out of business? That seems logical. Rather pay higher taxes to pay for the ex-lumberjacks on welfare than an extra 40 cents on a 2x4 until the Canucks stop cheating trade agreements.

Import tariffs will mean more expensive housing, which will also mean a lot more people on welfare.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:57:23 pm »
Preaching to the choir, but like the 17th amendment and other such things, seem like a pipe dream in today's political reality.

Which is EXACTLY the perception your masters prefer for you!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:48 pm »
Import tariffs will mean more expensive housing, which will also mean a lot more people on welfare.

So trade agreements should not be honored if it is going to make things cost the fair market price?

BTW, during the last tariff on lumber the US experienced a housing boom. Makes your argument a bit weak.

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »
So trade agreements should not be honored if it is going to make things cost the fair market price?

BTW, during the last tariff on lumber the US experienced a housing boom. Makes your argument a bit weak.

Who pays tariffs, Frank?

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:34 pm »
Like maple syrup Canada's evil oozes all over America!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 05:00:03 pm »

That would be true - Unless our own forests are opened back up, and our own loggers are put back to work, and our own mills are pulled out of mothballs.

That is what really needs to happen. The Canucks' unfair advantage comes from our forests being shut off, and our mills being shut down. Open all that back up, at operational volume, and we can compete with Canada just fine...

I am *FOR* this tariff in the short term, providing that our own people go back to work.
If it just means we start shipping lumber in from Russia, you would be right. If it helps the American Lumber industry get on it's feet, you are wrong.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 05:02:47 pm »
Who pays tariffs, Frank?

Not me because I buy my wood from the Koch Bros.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 05:08:40 pm »

In the 40+ years I've spent in real estate, one thing is clear.

The typical home buyer isn't concerned with the price of the home, but rather the monthly 'nut' they have to cover.

Only 1 think matters to them....the COST of their monthly mortgage payments.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald