Author Topic: 'Dreamers'should "rest easy"..Trump  (Read 1656 times)

Offline montanajoe

'Dreamers'should "rest easy"..Trump
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:25:15 pm »
Hnnnnn...wonder how many of the folks who voted for Trump are resting right now :whistle:.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/329940-trump-dreamers-should-rest-easy

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: 'Dreamers'should "rest easy"..Trump
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:46 pm »
Hnnnnn...wonder how many of the folks who voted for Trump are resting right now :whistle:.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/329940-trump-dreamers-should-rest-easy

Probably just fine. They live in a perpetual state of denial and know someone will come up with an explanation they can mindlessly repeat with minimal laughter.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »
This should be no surprise. He hinted at this during the campaign. But then again he said a lot of things and it's our fault for taking what he says literally. All these reversals of his were predicted and warned about.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:33 pm »

I'm a Trump voter, and I am fine with him not aiming at dreamers. Its a prioritization thing...its not practical to start raiding homes and dragging children out to deport them...nor would that be wise politically. What he's doing is going after criminals, freeloaders and simply adults who've come in illegally. And its working brilliantly. Illegal immigration at the border is down dramatically, and that's clearly due to a much stronger enforcement regimen being put in place.

Ultimately, once the non-dreamer illegals are dealt with, the President will come back to this issue...and my guess is that these kids will eventually be given some path...albeit an arduous one...to citizenship. They are the only ones, having been dragged here by their parents, who have some moral/ethical case for being allowed to stay.

Not sure why you'd think Trump supporters would have an issue with this policy. The man can't do everything at once, and he can't make everything the top priority...he's being reasonable.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:58 pm »
I'm a Trump voter, and I am fine with him not aiming at dreamers. Its a prioritization thing...its not practical to start raiding homes and dragging children out to deport them...nor would that be wise politically. What he's doing is going after criminals, freeloaders and simply adults who've come in illegally. And its working brilliantly. Illegal immigration at the border is down dramatically, and that's clearly due to a much stronger enforcement regimen being put in place.

Ultimately, once the non-dreamer illegals are dealt with, the President will come back to this issue...and my guess is that these kids will eventually be given some path...albeit an arduous one...to citizenship. They are the only ones, having been dragged here by their parents, who have some moral/ethical case for being allowed to stay.

Not sure why you'd think Trump supporters would have an issue with this policy. The man can't do everything at once, and he can't make everything the top priority...he's being reasonable.

In spite of his abject failure's on that 'Immigration' thing-2 EO's tied up in the Courts, $$$$ for 'his' Wall about to wreck any Legislative agenda he may have had (prioritize?),  DACA and DAPA still going-In spite of all this the Spigot on the Southern Border has been severely curtailed, Sessions/Kelly and more Border Patrol agents have been a plus, for which I am grateful for, though I think these would have happened anyway, had the GOP not drank the orange koolaid.   
   JMHO @Mesaclone
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:44:01 pm »
   In spite of his abject failure's on that 'Immigration' thing-2 EO's tied up in the Courts, $$$$ for 'his' Wall about to wreck any Legislative agenda he may have had (prioritize?),  DACA and DAPA still going-In spite of all this the Spigot on the Southern Border has been severely curtailed, Sessions/Kelly and more Border Patrol agents have been a plus, for which I am grateful for, though I think these would have happened anyway, had the GOP not drank the orange koolaid.   
   JMHO @Mesaclone

Well, he can't change the courts in 100 days...though Gorsuch is a great first step. His EO's will make it to the Supremes, and his orders will go into effect. That's the only way it can be, and he has to allow for the rule of law...even if it takes too long to wind its way to the Supremes.

Money for the wall was always going to be a tough fight, and if it can't be pushed through in a budget there are other ways it can be done...even private investors are a possibility. Again, a president can only push for new laws and budgets...congress bears the burden of getting it done. Blaming a president for congressional dithering is aiming at the wrong target.

As you said, the southern border situation is radically improving and that is a direct reflection of policy and the deployment of increased BP assets. I work for Homeland, and I can tell you, the change in the air here is powerful and broad....and the credit goes to the President.

President Trumps job is to fight for all the things he campaigned on...and I and other supporters will hold him accountable for that effort. But we will not condemn him when congress is too weak to act, or when his own party lacks the spine to move forward on these conservative policies. Yes, he must use his bully pulpit to lead and persuade congressmen...but he is doing that and has engaged them in both personal and public ways. He has done what he can, in other words, now its on congress.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:02:16 am »
Well, he can't change the courts in 100 days...though Gorsuch is a great first step. His EO's will make it to the Supremes, and his orders will go into effect. That's the only way it can be, and he has to allow for the rule of law...even if it takes too long to wind its way to the Supremes.

Money for the wall was always going to be a tough fight, and if it can't be pushed through in a budget there are other ways it can be done...even private investors are a possibility. Again, a president can only push for new laws and budgets...congress bears the burden of getting it done. Blaming a president for congressional dithering is aiming at the wrong target.

As you said, the southern border situation is radically improving and that is a direct reflection of policy and the deployment of increased BP assets. I work for Homeland, and I can tell you, the change in the air here is powerful and broad....and the credit goes to the President.

President Trumps job is to fight for all the things he campaigned on...and I and other supporters will hold him accountable for that effort. But we will not condemn him when congress is too weak to act, or when his own party lacks the spine to move forward on these conservative policies. Yes, he must use his bully pulpit to lead and persuade congressmen...but he is doing that and has engaged them in both personal and public ways. He has done what he can, in other words, now its on congress.

Very Good points, ALL @Mesaclone
   I do not blame the President for Ryan's pathetic Leadership, I am acclimated into the current political climate enough to know where to draw that line and is there anything the President could do differently-NO!, it's not in his DNA and as a few posters here have noted, Donating money to politicians, good and bad, does not necessarily make someone a politician, though Reince of all people should have been a major help with the GOP here instead of a disappointment.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 12:14:25 am »
   Very Good points, ALL @Mesaclone
   I do not blame the President for Ryan's pathetic Leadership, I am acclimated into the current political climate enough to know where to draw that line and is there anything the President could do differently-NO!, it's not in his DNA and as a few posters here have noted, Donating money to politicians, good and bad, does not necessarily make someone a politician, though Reince of all people should have been a major help with the GOP here instead of a disappointment.

Good points! 

I think in general too much is being made of this 100 days business. Patience is a virtue here when it comes to judging Trump AND congress. If we are discussing this here in April 2018 and we have no wall started, no Obamacare repeal, no tax cuts, etcetera...than a lot of us will be ready to jump off the President Trump bandwagon. Its just way too soon to be making absolute judgements in my view.

What do need, is to find ways to bring conservatives, the party and the president back into some sense of cordiality. We will always have disagreements, but there's a rancor...an almost "hope" that the president will fail amongst some. That's not OK...and its encumbent on both the President AND conservatives to heal that divide. The alternative, in the long run, is getting shellacked by the Dems in elections over the next few decades. I'd rather avoid that horrifying prospect.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 12:29:12 am »
They are the only ones, having been dragged here by their parents, who have some moral/ethical case for being allowed to stay.

Actually, they should return with their parents because they're in the best position to change their native land for the better.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 12:32:12 am »
What do need, is to find ways to bring conservatives, the party and the president back into some sense of cordiality. We will always have disagreements, but there's a rancor...an almost "hope" that the president will fail amongst some. That's not OK...and its encumbent on both the President AND conservatives to heal that divide.

I agree @Mesaclone it is a major impediment to getting Trump's agenda through Congress, the fighting between the Conservatives and the 'squishy' rino's and that is unfortunate indeed, but to pass anything just to look like you did something is ludicrous.
   Where we differ I suppose is that I want the HFC to stand on the principles that they were elected upon and if that means we keep obummercare, so be it, looks like it's inevitable at this point anyway, it's a lose/lose.
   I do understand the consequences of which I speak and I do not take these thoughts lightly.

Just smile for the camera is not a workable strategy in this situation, the President needs a much better Congressional Liaison, Reince, Bannon, Miller and his Family are failing him. IMHO

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 12:32:57 am »

Tens of thousands of "dreamers" crossed the border after obama rolled out the welcome mat a few years ago with the express purpose of circumventing the law - I do not have sympathy for these people and sincerely hope they are NOT part of any "pathway" in any plan Trump unveils.

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 12:48:32 am »
Tens of thousands of "dreamers" crossed the border after obama rolled out the welcome mat a few years ago with the express purpose of circumventing the law - I do not have sympathy for these people and sincerely hope they are NOT part of any "pathway" in any plan Trump unveils.

By Far, the Easiest EO's to sign (proven by past history) are the one's Undoing a previous EO, obummer did a bunch of those in his first 100 days overturning GWB, yet DACA and DAPA (obummers immigration outreach) are still on the books, as are some Religious Liberty EO's of his, the former is just encouraging more young immigrants, the later is eroding our basic Freedom as a people, makes me wonder..

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 12:55:30 am »
   I agree @Mesaclone it is a major impediment to getting Trump's agenda through Congress, the fighting between the Conservatives and the 'squishy' rino's and that is unfortunate indeed, but to pass anything just to look like you did something is ludicrous.
   Where we differ I suppose is that I want the HFC to stand on the principles that they were elected upon and if that means we keep obummercare, so be it, looks like it's inevitable at this point anyway, it's a lose/lose.
   I do understand the consequences of which I speak and I do not take these thoughts lightly.

Just smile for the camera is not a workable strategy in this situation, the President needs a much better Congressional Liaison, Reince, Bannon, Miller and his Family are failing him. IMHO

I don't disagree that we shouldn't just pass anything so that we can say we passed something...but is that really the only option. Does a bill have to have 100% of what the FC want to be acceptable....can we go with the Reagan 80% rule...I mean, there has to be SOME room for compromise within the GOP majority. "Squishy" moderates must also give, but I don't think its reasonable to argue that ONLY they should give on this issue. Nor do I believe that its better to keep O-care than to have an 80% conservative solution. Everyone wants what we want, but in a democracy we are also limited by what we can actually pass as law.

As for who is failing the president, I still think its too soon to make that call. We may yet have a budget AND Obamacare repeal this summer...and perhaps another Supreme Court justice. That would be a helluva set of accomplishments. So while I understand entirely where you are coming from, I'd hope that you are willing to give things a little more time to develop...and to support SOME compromises in the "replace" part of "repeal and replace".

All that said, I'd like to see Spicer out and a new spokesman in.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:56:27 am by Mesaclone »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 12:58:58 am »
I don't disagree that we shouldn't just pass anything so that we can say we passed something...but is that really the only option. Does a bill have to have 100% of what the FC want to be acceptable....can we go with the Reagan 80% rule...I mean, there has to be SOME room for compromise within the GOP majority. "Squishy" moderates must also give, but I don't think its reasonable to argue that ONLY they should give on this issue. Nor do I believe that its better to keep O-care than to have an 80% conservative solution. Everyone wants what we want, but in a democracy we are also limited by what we can actually pass as law.

As for who is failing the president, I still think its too soon to make that call. We may yet have a budget AND Obamacare repeal this summer...and perhaps another Supreme Court justice. That would be a helluva set of accomplishments. So while I understand entirely where you are coming from, I'd hope that you are willing to give things a little more time to develop...and to support SOME compromises in the "replace" part of "repeal and replace".

I'd be fine with getting just 20% of what I want on a new Obamacare deal, as long as that 20% was about completely removing government mandates on whether or not we buy and what we can buy.

As far as the other 80%, the moderates can knock themselves out.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:59:26 am by skeeter »

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 01:07:51 am »

It's a deal breaker @Mesaclone
   Since it's inception the GOP had promised me they would REPEAL, even Trump used that very word throughout his Campaign and now you expect me to possibly believe that 'Rename and Resuscitate', as a briefer brilliantly pointed out, is a viable solution, that's just:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 01:08:04 am »

Plenty, they did not abandon the unborn, the least of our brothers, like so many Never Trumpers did. That's their shame.  Never Trumpers are hunting around like Democrats for whatever mud they can throw; in the meantime, the Trump admin has done a lot and those against him grasp at straws, the best they can do.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:08:34 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 01:14:40 am »
NTs expect perfection, they wouldn't give their vote up, they are so special; even if that means abandoning the pro-life cause. They just cling on to Democratic values, the border crossings have already subsided greatly. We are seeing accomplishments; but the NTs are going to act self-righteous if not everything campaigned for, which they did not even vote for, is not accomplished.

They b and moan about everything, they are good at criticizing accomplished men while they cling on to some, respectfully, who are all words.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 01:15:44 am »
Plenty, they did not abandon the unborn, the least of our brothers, like so many Never Trumpers did. That's their shame.  Never Trumpers are hunting around like Democrats for whatever mud they can throw; in the meantime, the Trump admin has done a lot and those against him grasp at straws, the best they can do.

You need a new shtick. This one is as worn out as Maxine Waters' race card.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 01:23:42 am »
Where are the Senators who should introduce law on this about dreamers if some are discontent??  :whistle:

There are other members of the House of Representatives that can introduce healthcare. I didn't realize Paul Ryan was uniquely responsible for this.  :whistle:

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 01:23:44 am »

@TomSea It could also be argued that it was the Trumpsters that decided Abortion was not a big Issue because yall supported and elected a Man that has been pro-Choice his entire adult life, unlike the logical choice Ted Cruz who has been pro life his entire 'documented' life.

Oh yea I forgot, Ted couldn't have been elected.  I know people are tired of relitigating the past, but insinuating that nevertrumpers are for abortion is quite a stretch.

I'm sensitive too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 01:28:02 am »
Where are the Senators who should introduce law on this about dreamers if some are discontent??  :whistle:

There are other members of the House of Representatives that can introduce healthcare. I didn't realize Paul Ryan was uniquely responsible for this.  :whistle:
. Take it up with the president. It was his campaign promise.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 01:30:07 am »
   @TomSea It could also be argued that it was the Trumpsters that decided Abortion was not a big Issue because yall supported and elected a Man that has been pro-Choice his entire adult life, unlike the logical choice Ted Cruz who has been pro life his entire 'documented' life.

Oh yea I forgot, Ted couldn't have been elected.  I know people are tired of relitigating the past, but insinuating that nevertrumpers are for abortion is quite a stretch.

I'm sensitive too.

I don't think he's saying you were for abortion...just that your deep dislike for Trump overrode your desire to end abortion. I think its much more complex than that, but I do think many people let hatred for the president overrule what are practical legislative concerns. It has led many to judge him harshly right out of the gate as President...unfairly so. That said, its not helpful to any of us to reignite our divisions, we need to find ways to work together to advance the conservative cause. We have a Republican president, House and Senate...we may squabble internally but we will all find ourselves ruled by radical leftists if we cannot find a way to unite AT LEAST around some core issues. And yes, we all have to have SOME flexibility...not on our principles, but certainly in our legislative tactics.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:30:37 am by Mesaclone »

Offline corbe

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 01:44:15 am »
I don't think he's saying you were for abortion...just that your deep dislike for Trump overrode your desire to end abortion. I think its much more complex than that, but I do think many people let hatred for the president overrule what are practical legislative concerns. It has led many to judge him harshly right out of the gate as President...unfairly so. That said, its not helpful to any of us to reignite our divisions, we need to find ways to work together to advance the conservative cause. We have a Republican president, House and Senate...we may squabble internally but we will all find ourselves ruled by radical leftists if we cannot find a way to unite AT LEAST around some core issues. And yes, we all have to have SOME flexibility...not on our principles, but certainly in our legislative tactics.

MY deep dislike for Trump is a bit hyperbolic, @Mesaclone
He's my President I want him to succeed-MAGA, I anticipated a rough start for him and he's had 'some' flashes of brilliance and you make an excellent point in your last sentence.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 01:49:20 am »

MY deep dislike for Trump is a bit hyperbolic, @Mesaclone
He's my President I want him to succeed-MAGA, I anticipated a rough start for him and he's had 'some' flashes of brilliance and you make an excellent point in your last sentence.

Well, you and I seem to be able to discuss civilly and agree on some key stuff. Now, all we have to do is get the entire GOP to follow or lead! I'm optimistic.

Offline corbe

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 01:52:34 am »
   I am too, @Mesaclone  the glass is always half full, I have finally learned to overcome my desire to type mescaline to respond and ironically it was the orange stuff that was the Best.