Author Topic: SpaceX doesn't scare Asia's space players  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
SpaceX doesn't scare Asia's space players
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:38:26 pm »
CNBC by  Nyshka Chandran   Wednesday, 12 Apr 2017

The commercial space industry is dominated by Western heavyweights, such as Elon Musk's SpaceX, Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic and Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin. But players in Asia say they aren't worried about that competition.

As corporate spending eclipses government activity throughout the global space sector, Japan's PD Aerospace and China's Kuang-Chi Science are among Asia's homegrown private firms planning to offer spaceflight services to civilians.

Shuji Ogawa, CEO of PD Aerospace, acknowledges that it's unlikely Asian companies can rival SpaceX, Virgin Galactic or Blue Origin, but he said there's more than enough demand to go around.

"When we have reached their present stage, they will have advanced further," he said. "Space tourism is a universal dream, not only for Japanese but for all people. It is important for us to view the Earth from space."

His Nagoya-based company is currently developing a reusable sub-orbital space plane featuring a propulsion system that alternates between jet and rocket mode. It's expected to carry eight people — two pilots and six passengers — over 100 kilometers above the Earth. The Kármán line, which lies 100 km above sea level, is the boundary between Earth's atmosphere and outer space.

PD Aerospace says it intends to conduct its first trial in 2020, with the hope of commencing tourism operations in 2023. Because Japan is small, securing testing areas has been a challenge, Ogawa said. The initial price tag for a trip is set at 14 million yen ($126,639) but Ogawa intends to eventually lower the cost to 398,000 yen ($3,600). "We want to offer space tours to ordinary people."

More: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/12/asias-space-tourism-players-arent-scared-of-spacex.html

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: SpaceX doesn't scare Asia's space players
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:50:49 pm »
I haven't been following the Asian companies but it still sounds like Blue Origin is the one to watch. Blue Origin is offering much more than just a ride to the edge of space and back. They are putting together plans for putting men back on the moon for more than a few hours without the fanciful wing and a prayer half assed plan for a mars trip of Elon Musk.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:05:25 am »
A decade ago or so I remember watching a live action Japanese TV show about kids at a space high school, they wanted to be astronauts. I don't remember a lot about it, but there was at least a few episodes. I can't even find anything about it on Google. It was totally understated, there were no monsters, no super powers or anything.

EDIT: Futatsu no Spica (2009)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:27:57 am by geronl »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 03:01:58 pm »
I haven't been following the Asian companies but it still sounds like Blue Origin is the one to watch. Blue Origin is offering much more than just a ride to the edge of space and back. They are putting together plans for putting men back on the moon for more than a few hours without the fanciful wing and a prayer half assed plan for a mars trip of Elon Musk.

Plans are nice.  Everyone should have plans.  But SpaceX is actually flying missions, successfully.  That counts for quite a bit more than plans.  Once Blue Origin starts doing more than just tests of suborbital hardware, they can get some credibility.  But right now their plans are no better than anyone else's.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!