Author Topic: Gorsuch breaks mold, asks numerous questions in Supreme Court debut  (Read 844 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: FOX NEWS

URL: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/17/gorsuch-breaks-mold-asks-numerous-questions-in-supreme-court-debut.html

By Bill Mears

WASHINGTON –  An upbeat Justice Neil Gorsuch wasted little time getting to work in his first public session Monday as the 113th member of the Supreme Court.

Sitting at the far right end of the nine-member bench, Gorsuch spent the morning hearing three oral arguments, each lasting about an hour. In his first case, considering a federal workplace discrimination claim, the newest justice was among the most active of questioners -- unusual for the court "rookie."

At the start of the morning session, Chief Justice John Roberts publicly acknowledged his new colleague in the crowded courtroom, wishing him a "long and happy career in our common calling."

Gorsuch responded by thanking the other justices for giving him a "warm welcome."

The 49-year-old Colorado native paid close attention to the arguments, sitting straight up and resting his hand occasionally on his chin.

He remained focused -- not even chatting with his "bench neighbor," Justice Sonia Sotomayor -- as he asked a number of questions of counsel. The back-and-forth exchanges lasted more than 10 minutes of the first 60-minute argument.

The first case out of the gate for Gorsuch was not a blockbuster, but the justice repeatedly pressed lawyers from both sides with his positions.

When one attorney admitted he tended to agree with the justice on one point, Gorsuch dryly replied, "I hope so."

At one point, he even apologized for the amount of questions, saying, “Sorry for taking up so much time.”

The other cases being argued separately Monday deal with a property rights dispute and securities class-action lawsuits.

(EXCERPT ONLY) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

Wingnut

Re: Gorsuch breaks mold, asks numerous questions in Supreme Court debut
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »
He was a real chatty cathy!   

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:53:36 pm »
Ginsburg probably was wishing he'd shut up and let her get some sleep.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:19:41 pm »
He was a real chatty cathy!

The opposite of Clarence Thomas. Did Justice Thomas EVER asked any questions in his entire tenure?

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:21:12 pm »
The opposite of Clarence Thomas. Did Justice Thomas EVER asked any questions in his entire tenure?

Yes Thomas did.  Can't remember when however.  It was a rare event.  maybe 1 one off.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:43 pm »
Are any clerks of the various judges sitting in that room while the judges ask questions?

The reason I ask is that it's widely known that Justice Clarence Thomas virtually never opens his mouth in all the years he has served on the Court.

...and here comes the 'New Guy', picking up in the count where Justice Antonin Scalia left off, in the middle of his AB.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 02:19:29 am »
Are any clerks of the various judges sitting in that room while the judges ask questions?

The reason I ask is that it's widely known that Justice Clarence Thomas virtually never opens his mouth in all the years he has served on the Court.

...and here comes the 'New Guy', picking up in the count where Justice Antonin Scalia left off, in the middle of his AB.

The Justices hire their own clerks, at this point he is his own SC clerk, but I would suspect he is relying on the clerks from his tenure at the 10th Circuit. This judge filled the spot left by Scalia, he is not Scalia, and those convinced he will meet Scalia's judicial standard are simply Trump.. GOP fanboys.

He is a good pick that will, in my estimation, solidify the Roberts Court....

As I've said before if you like Roberts you will like this guy.....

Trump nominates him he gets the seat and that's a big win from ones partisan perspective .well bless your heart...

I think Kennedy of all the Justices is most likely to retire in a Trump term baring death. That will be the nomination that shows whether Trump will prove to be a conservative....
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:20:56 am by montanajoe »

geronl

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 03:19:12 am »
Ginsburg probably was wishing he'd shut up and let her get some sleep.

don't the noobs usually not talk for a long time?

geronl

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 03:20:42 am »

When did his tenure end?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 03:26:40 am »
Good. He should be doing his job instead of having some clerk write him a preordained decision and then going back into a coma.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 03:43:03 am »
When did his tenure end?

I meant in his entire tenure up to today. But you know what my question meant, so do you know the answer?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 04:11:33 am »
Clarence Thomas shocks supreme court by ending 10-year oral argument silence https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/feb/29/clarence-thomas-supreme-court-asks-question-10-year-silence