Author Topic: More than 8 million people in the US have mental health problems  (Read 1448 times)

rangerrebew

17 April 2017
More than 8 million people in the US have mental health problems

By Chelsea Whyte

Americans are experiencing serious psychological distress in higher numbers than ever before. More than 8 million adults in the US between the ages 18 and 64 have mental health issues – that’s 3.4 per cent of the nation’s population.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has conducted an annual national health survey for the past 60 years. Respondents are asked how often over the past month they felt certain feelings, such as being so sad nothing could cheer them up, or that everything they did was an effort or worthless. The frequency of such feelings gives an indication of whether someone is in serious psychological distress (SPD).

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2127967-more-than-8-million-people-in-the-us-have-mental-health-problems/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:35:45 pm by rangerrebew »

Wingnut

Re: More than 8 million people in the US have mental health problems
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 02:52:56 pm »
"More than 8 million people in the US have mental health problems"

Hello Captain Obvious.   22222frying pan

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:16:33 pm »
"More than 8 million people in the US have mental health problems"

Yeah, but political fora keep them occupied.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:57:30 pm »
@rangerrebew
@mystery-ak
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@Cripplecreek

My response to this article:
“Respondents are asked how often over the past month they felt certain feelings, such as being so sad nothing could cheer them up, or that everything they did was an effort or worthless. The frequency of such feelings gives an indication of whether someone is in serious psychological distress (SPD).”

The way the question is asked will prompt people to buy into those feelings when they answer so you get more “sick” people – they want to be in that group.  If the question was something like, “How many times this past month did you feel good about yourself, that you did something worthwhile?” People are likely to agree with that to be part of that group. 

Availability of mental help and reason for being depressed:
Most people choose not to get mental help so the numbers/percentages they give as to how many don’t get mental care because it is not available, is off.  If there was free mental care on every corner, they still wouldn’t go due to the stigma attached to go to a “shrink”.

“…more prevalent in women than in men” :
Women are more likely to answer their questions than men.  However, it is an historic truth that women have less “power” to change their predicament than men, so more women are likely to be depressed than men.

“She found that SPD was more prevalent ...in Hispanic and black people versus white people.”
This is a family issue.  Hispanic and black families tend to have less family values than whites due to Hispanic/black families are more likely to be fragmented and have less fathers at home.  Daily needs consume their thinking; not enough money for daily needs will cause depression that won’t end.  Mental help is not high on their values, money is, and few would seek mental help.

“’There is this generation of middle aged adults that are really suffering right now and if policies change, if we increase access to mental health care and we increase coverage for mental health care, we can save the next generation,’ she says.”
More mental help services is not the answer as most people will not go. 

Here is the answer to depression and loss of hope:
Religion has gone by the wayside in this country – if more families attended church, had a belief in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, more families would stay together, depression numbers would fall, there would be less suicides, and there would be much less need for mental help services which they aren’t going to anyway.

Churches tend to help their members who need help with their daily lives.  These members are more likely to find jobs and help themselves. I have seen this happen over and over in our church. Before government “took over” people’s lives, churches were the place to go for help. This help is personal, not fill out a form and get impersonal government “help”. Personal help means someone cares about them and this leads to the person wanting to use that help so he/she can make a change in his/her life so he/she doesn’t need help anymore.

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:29:12 am »
@Victoria33

Everything you said made a lot of sense to me.

"Here is the answer to depression and loss of hope:
Religion has gone by the wayside in this country – if more families attended church, had a belief in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, more families would stay together, depression numbers would fall, there would be less suicides, and there would be much less need for mental help services which they aren’t going to anyway. "

This is what I think, as well.  I believe this is the factor behind all of the tragic teen suicides.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:30:18 am »
I would have guessed 80%

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:30 am »
I would have guessed 80%

And that is on a good day.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:16:15 pm »
Bookmarking.

Isn't it amazing that the US and New Zealand are the only countries that allow big pharma to advertise in print media and on tv?

For the record people have suffered from depression from the beginning. There are suicides and depression mentioned in the Old Testament. The dark night of the soul is nothing new. I think going through it builds character. It makes us stronger.

Remember after Pandora opened her box, the last thing that remained was Hope.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 07:24:27 pm »
It is a heck of a lot more than eight million.  Try 64 million.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 07:39:15 pm »

LOL.   

I confess I thought you posted in the wrong thread at 1st.  I'm scrolling up looking for a post  and saying WTF is Hoo talking about...

Then it hit me!    22222frying pan ****slapping

Nice.  Spot on!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:42 pm »
This doesn't apply to me, and I want to know why the Heck people always stare at me like I have two heads when I say that? :bolt:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:03 pm »

Yup.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:56 pm »
@Victoria33

Everything you said made a lot of sense to me.

"Here is the answer to depression and loss of hope:
Religion has gone by the wayside in this country – if more families attended church, had a belief in God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, more families would stay together, depression numbers would fall, there would be less suicides, and there would be much less need for mental help services which they aren’t going to anyway. "

This is what I think, as well.  I believe this is the factor behind all of the tragic teen suicides.

It's the Mental Illness Industry itself that's causing suicides.

Suicides Rise Dramatically With Increasing Psychiatric Care

https://www.madinamerica.com/2014/09/suicides-rise-increasing-psychiatric-involvement/

But don't take my word for it based on just 1 article.

Help yourself to the link fest under the first sidebar heading

P$ychiatry 101, Start Here
http://psychroaches.blogspot.com/

Government Mind Control Tops U.S. Healthcare Spending
http://psychroaches.blogspot.com/2016/05/govt-mind-control-tops-us-healthcare.html

Church on Sundays and reading your Bible is not going to rid us of the wholesale Government collusion with this Murder For Hire Industry.

If your Doctor asks you any questions about your emotional state, that is the last time you should Ever speak with that Doctor again.

Say Thanks but no thanks, and run.

The article's Title, at least, got it right.

Over 8%.

From the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)

Any Mental Illness Among U.S. Adults

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/prevalence/any-mental-illness-ami-among-us-adults.shtml

NIMH is not there for your well being or anyone else's.

They're an arm of the Mental Illness Industry's Marketing Department.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:22:48 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
I don't know people. If I end up having to learn to speak Arabic, Farsi, Turkish, or something even worse--Spanish, I'm upping the number to 126 million +1. That +1 is for me sitting around long enough for to be letting the other to happen.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:28 pm »
I call BS. Half the population are women, so I know the number is much higher than that.  :bolt:
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:34 pm »
I call BS. Half the population are women, so I know the number is much higher than that.  :bolt:

We know things started going downhill with the 19th Amendment, 1919.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 12:10:50 am »
We know things started going downhill with the 19th Amendment, 1919.

Hello? Try for Eve.  :seeya: