Author Topic: France in the End of Days  (Read 280 times)

rangerrebew

France in the End of Days
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:44:23 am »
France in the End of Days

Roger Cohen APRIL 14, 2017

Paris — For some time France has been a country that does not like itself. Somewhere on the road from its humiliation in World War II to its disappointment with European integration to its discomfort with globalization, France slid into moroseness. High-speed trains purred; France pouted. Grumbling became a way of life, the response to lost grandeur. Now France seems ready to vent this slow-ripening anger in an election that could see the extreme right return to power for the first time since the 1940s and Europe revert to a turbulence not seen since that epoch.

If Marine Le Pen of the National Front wins, she says she will take France out of the euro, the shared European currency, and restore the franc. Exit from the European Union could follow. This would constitute an economic and political rupture so violent that even Donald Trump’s victory and Britain’s vote to leave the union would pale beside it. Europe, and not just its markets, would be upended. President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, who has been meddling, would be happy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/opinion/sunday/france-in-the-end-of-days.html?_r=3
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 09:45:04 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Re: France in the End of Days
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
If the NYT is actively campaigning against Le Pen, I'd say that's an endorsement of her position to all rational people.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!