Author Topic: What do tree rings sound like when played like a record? It's hauntingly beautiful.  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
That is NEAT!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online andy58-in-nh

Concerto for Redwood in D Minor.

Very cool.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

It's interesting that Jethro Tull released this album in the 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4UYX2qpUK0
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:39:15 pm by TomSea »

Online Polly Ticks

HOW IT WORKS: Instead of a needle, an optical sensor reads the wood's color and texture. Then, algorithms convert those variations into notes on a scale, which is mapped to a piano synthesizer and played.

The rings of a trunk reveal the age of the tree, and environmental conditions like rainfall levels, disease, and even forest fires. Light-colored rings indicate growth spurts, while darker marks show times of a slowdown.

Each slice is unique -- a glimpse into the story of a tree's past.

Bartholomäus Traubeck wondered what story those trees would tell. So he created equipment that could translate those rings into music on a record player. The result is a breathtaking masterpiece.

Used with permission from Bartholomäus Traubeck. Learn more at http://traubeck.com.

Very cool!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Suppressed

Very cool!

Thanks for posting that, @Polly Ticks ... 

Of course, the rings aren't a single groove like on a record, so I wonder what path they are taking and what algorithm they use.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn