Author Topic: Rear-view cameras on vehicles required by 2018  (Read 8255 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Rear-view cameras on vehicles required by 2018
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:31 am »
SAN DIEGO (KGTV) - The deadline for all new cars to have a rear-view camera is fast approaching, but it's already too late to help an Escondido family.

One-year-old Kloe Cruz was hit and killed Monday night by a driver backing up. A rear-view camera might have prevented the crash.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration put a rule in place in 2014 that requires any new car under 10,000 pounds to have a rear-view camera. The deadline for compliance is May 2018.

At Frank Subaru in National City, the entire fleet already complies with the rule.

"Anything that will assist you in that driving process, people are really leaning towards that," said Robert Wind, a manager at the dealership.

Wind was heartbroken to hear about what happened to Kloe and her family.

The NHTSA says about 200 people are killed every year by back-up crashes. Another 14,000 are injured.

More: http://www.10news.com/news/rear-view-camera-might-have-saved-little-girls-life-in-escondido-crash

I had no idea this rule even existed.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Rear-view cameras on vehicles required by 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:22:32 am »
Love mine.  Makes backing up so much easier and safer. 

Don't think the govt should be requiring them.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:33:49 am »
Got a back up sensor on my car. Hate the damned thing, but can't turn it off without serious screwdriver work to get at the speaker connections (I've tried).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:51:31 am »
I like mine, but they are not necessarily safer.  I often find myself focusing on the camera image, which shows what's behind me, but not what might be coming from the sides.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:06 am »
I like mine, but they are not necessarily safer.  I often find myself focusing on the camera image, which shows what's behind me, but not what might be coming from the sides.

Mine has cameras on the sides and has cross radar.  I don't even really need to look as it will tell me if something is there.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 12:34:45 pm »
Love mine.  Makes backing up so much easier and safer. 

Don't think the govt should be requiring them.

Agreed! That regulation will just be used as an excuse to add more cost to all vehicles, because the bureaucrats will not just stop at requiring a camera, they will specify in excruciating detail where it shall be located, the technical specifications of the camera system, etc ad naseum.....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »
Mine has cameras on the sides and has cross radar.  I don't even really need to look as it will tell me if something is there.

Nice.  Some of the new safety technology might make me buy a new truck long before I "need" to.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 01:27:29 pm »
Agreed! That regulation will just be used as an excuse to add more cost to all vehicles, because the bureaucrats will not just stop at requiring a camera, they will specify in excruciating detail where it shall be located, the technical specifications of the camera system, etc ad naseum.....

Agreed, they may be cool toys but they are adding needless cost to private passenger vehicles. If you don't want people to back over children, teach people to not back over children by returning some professionalism and skill to driving rather than just making it easier for them.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 01:33:09 pm »
Agreed, they may be cool toys but they are adding needless cost to private passenger vehicles. If you don't want people to back over children, teach people to not back over children by returning some professionalism and skill to driving rather than just making it easier for them.

@Cripplecreek

They may be considered a luxury or optional item but they are not toys.   The camera and radar make it much easier to drive.   They greatly reduce the chance of a collision.   When in parking garages or busy parking lots they are incredible.

You Sir, are a Luddite.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 01:55:53 pm »
@Cripplecreek

They may be considered a luxury or optional item but they are not toys.   The camera and radar make it much easier to drive.   They greatly reduce the chance of a collision.   When in parking garages or busy parking lots they are incredible.

You Sir, are a Luddite.

So pay for it as an extra or would you prefer to subsidize one for me?

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 01:56:12 pm »
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is as evil as the EPA.  Their highwayman demands of mandatory "safety" features under the ruse of saving lives drives up the cost of the vehicle and rarely justifies the cost vs benefit.   

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 02:10:51 pm »
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is as evil as the EPA.  Their highwayman demands of mandatory "safety" features under the ruse of saving lives drives up the cost of the vehicle and rarely justifies the cost vs benefit.

Plenty of crony capitalism taking place there. Everytime someone comes up with a new safety technology some idiot comes running to scream "If it saves only one life"! To make matters worse the lobbyists start whispering in the ears of congressmen about jobs created if only my product were required or better yet, just think how much money investors would make if our product was required.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:15:37 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:21 pm »

@Cripplecreek

I did pay for it myself.   I also posted above that the Govt shouldn't require it.

So you want your Obamacam eh.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »

@Wingnut
These things do drive up cost.  That $2 camera and $15 dollar screen cost a fortune by the time the car makers are done marking them up.

Cars are overpriced as it is.  The issue is govt intrusion not the cost this will add.

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 02:16:52 pm »
@Wingnut
These things do drive up cost.  That $2 camera and $15 dollar screen cost a fortune by the time the car makers are done marking them up.

The issue is govt intrusion not the cost this will add.

I thought that was implied.   Let the free market dictate. Not the government regulate.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 02:24:53 pm »
I thought that was implied.   Let the free market dictate. Not the government regulate.

Sorry I missed that.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »

The car companies would probably sell more cars if they actually had true base model cars and allowed people to add the options they wanted rather than making them standard on all cars at an increased cost.

I want to be able to go to the dealership and buy a car without traction control, anti lock brakes, braking assist, steering assist, parking assist, power windows and locks, and I want a standard shift transmission.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 02:27:26 pm »
I love mine but why require it? I drive a Ford Fiesta, it doesn't require a damn backup camera.

BTW, did you guy see where some guy attached a photo of Nick Cage to his wife's backup camera?

http://imgur.com/CKu8Tyb

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 02:31:57 pm »

I want to be able to go to the dealership and buy a car without traction control, anti lock brakes, braking assist, steering assist, parking assist, power windows and locks, and I want a standard shift transmission.

And you should be able too.....if this was 1965!     

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 02:36:10 pm »
The car companies would probably sell more cars if they actually had true base model cars and allowed people to add the options they wanted rather than making them standard on all cars at an increased cost.

Screw all that, I'd settle on being able to bypass a dealership altogether. I hate them. Biggest bunch of scumbags on the planet.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »
Yep. And it's just one more thing to break down. We already have technology for driving backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6xXNToFas
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 08:07:42 pm »
Yep. And it's just one more thing to break down. We already have technology for driving backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6xXNToFas

We used to cruise all over my little hometown backwards. We used to play on the ice and dirt roads, back into the diagonal parking to BS in the middle of the night with less than an inch between vehicles. etc. We really learned how to handle vehicles effectively.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
@Cripplecreek

You Sir, are a Luddite.
While Luddites complain about cameras, they can also complain about tire safety, crash safety, seatbelts, glass safety, airbags, anti-lock brakes, among other safety oriented technologies. Baby seats and anchoring, too.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »
We used to cruise all over my little hometown backwards. We used to play on the ice and dirt roads, back into the diagonal parking to BS in the middle of the night with less than an inch between vehicles. etc. We really learned how to handle vehicles effectively.

Yes and you walked 10 miles uphill both ways through 6 feet of snow to get to school.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2017, 08:25:35 pm »
My wife has a new Camaro SS with the camera. It is nearly 100% impossible to see out the back window and the rear quarter windows are maybe 3/4  foot square if that.

Side  mirrors and camera is just about the only way you can see in back of you.