Author Topic: President Trump changes stance on 4 campaign positions in just 1 day  (Read 2859 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: President Trump changes stance on 4 campaign positions in just 1 day
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »
We have 535 members of Congress and now is the time to hold their feet to the fire for once! They are up for re-election in 2018. Phone calls, e-mails and a visit to their office when in town does have some impact.

:beer:

Good reminder.

Also - if they've done something right .... TELL THEM! The shock of getting praised won't kill them. Probably.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 01:18:07 pm »
Still better then Hillary.

You just summed up in four words the entirety of Mark Davis' show on 660 AM in Dallas. Just this morning, he was saying "you can still be 'America First', and praise the actions in Syria...because I am".

Actually, that is the unofficial motto of Salem Radio Network: Still Better Than Hillary. This has turned into a game of limbo, they're still looking to see how low they can go.

The good news for me is that I will no longer be bound to ordinary radio in my car. I'm picking up my insurance settlement this afternoon for an accident that occurred in the first week of December. That's going partly to a downpayment on a newer car with newer technology.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 01:22:13 pm »
You just summed up in four words the entirety of Mark Davis' show on 660 AM in Dallas. Just this morning, he was saying "you can still be 'America First', and praise the actions in Syria...because I am".

Actually, that is the unofficial motto of Salem Radio Network: Still Better Than Hillary. This has turned into a game of limbo, they're still looking to see how low they can go.

The good news for me is that I will no longer be bound to ordinary radio in my car. I'm picking up my insurance settlement this afternoon for an accident that occurred in the first week of December. That's going partly to a downpayment on a newer car with newer technology.

I have a 6 CD changer in the car - came as standard. Only time the radio goes on while driving (or at home for that matter) is for the Friday night concert on Classic FM.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 01:23:59 pm »
I have a 6 CD changer in the car - came as standard. Only time the radio goes on while driving (or at home for that matter) is for the Friday night concert on Classic FM.

I've got SiriusXM.  Broadens the options considerably.

Offline ExFreeper

• USAF 1975-87
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 01:43:02 pm »
Once Bannon is pushed out and replaced by Cohn's policies, expect Trump's move to the left to include agreeing to a carbon emission tax in order to pass a new tax bill.  I'm afraid the internal turmoil is real and the expectant "GOP civil war" is fast approaching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/within-trumps-inner-circle-a-moderate-voice-captures-the-presidents-ear/2017/04/13/7a7f87b0-1fa7-11e7-be2a-3a1fb24d4671_story.html?utm_term=.aaa989952e6c

"A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." - Milton Friedman

Offline jpsb

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 01:44:23 pm »
Setting a low bar there. The Worm was better than Hillary.

The choice was Trump or Hillary. While I am very disappointed in Trump he is still much better then Hillary.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 01:48:38 pm »
Once Bannon is pushed out and replaced by Cohn's policies, expect Trump's move to the left to include agreeing to a carbon emission tax in order to pass a new tax bill.  I'm afraid the internal turmoil is real and the expectant "GOP civil war" is fast approaching.

Don't want a carbon emissions tax?   Then don't force Trump to have to bargain with Democrats.   He will sign GOP legislation - but it's up to the GOP to compromise among its factions to pass such legislation.   I support Trump's strategy of forcing the GOP to act swiftly or he'll bargain with Democrats.   It ought to focus our legislators' minds.   Trump represents a tremendous opportunity for conservatives - but only if we don't become our own worst enemy.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:48 pm »
Some of this stuff, like China, may be a part of a larger strategy or just a waypoint in negotiations.  For example, North Korea has been a looming threat for a long time that prior Presidents refused to address.  Trump is addressing it now in a way that I personally never saw coming, but that I support.

For someone to ask him right now about China as a currency manipulator is a classic "gotcha".  They know that it would be dumb as hell for him to start slamming China right when he's trying to put together an important coalition against NK.  So they ask it, and of course he backs off it because to do otherwise would derail something else he's trying to accomplish.  So I'd want to see how that whole thing comes down at the end before judging him.

Don't like the Export-Import at all, but again, we don't know if this is part of a give and take that includes something on other issues, and of course part of the logic of the EIB is to offset foreign competition.  So maybe that's just a different, less aggressive form of pressure against China.

Perhaps he'll end up simply abandoning all that stuff and laughing at us for believing him, perhaps not.  I just find it kind of interesting that at the precise moment we're engaging in some pretty critical brinksmanship in the ME and North Korea, that these kind of articles/opinion pieces are popping up.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 01:56:40 pm »
Don't want a carbon emissions tax?   Then don't force Trump to have to bargain with Democrats.   He will sign GOP legislation - but it's up to the GOP to compromise among its factions to pass such legislation.   I support Trump's strategy of forcing the GOP to act swiftly or he'll bargain with Democrats.   It ought to focus our legislators' minds.   Trump represents a tremendous opportunity for conservatives - but only if we don't become our own worst enemy.   

I will support Constitutional conservatism, period.  If Trump won't fight for the things that I believe in then he's not on my side, period.  It's his choice to bargain with the devil to, "get things done," but I can't force Trump to do anything.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 02:07:30 pm »
Well he's doing what a lot of people here predicted he'd do.

Not like we weren't warned.

....except 'WIN'.

Not like you weren't told.    *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 02:09:12 pm »
Let's not forget the leverage the President has to assemble a coalition that includes Democrats.   That ought to focus the minds of the GOP coalition to compromise within itself sufficiently to stay united.    I can easily see healthcare or tax reform being coupled with an infrastructure bill, for example,  that can gain enough Dem support so that the President can ignore the Freedom Caucus.   

You want that bridge fixed?   Sign HERE!

You want that new airport?   Sign HERE!

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 02:28:04 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/within-trumps-inner-circle-a-moderate-voice-captures-the-presidents-ear/2017/04/13/7a7f87b0-1fa7-11e7-be2a-3a1fb24d4671_story.html?utm_term=.aaa989952e6c

Well that didn't take as long as I thought it would.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 02:30:28 pm »
You want that bridge fixed?   Sign HERE!

You want that new airport?   Sign HERE!

So you have no problem with Trump picking up on increasing the National Debt past what Bush and Obama did...and using Obama's strong armed tactics to get what he wants  Got it.  **nononono*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:32:07 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 02:39:28 pm »
I will support Constitutional conservatism, period.  If Trump won't fight for the things that I believe in then he's not on my side, period.  It's his choice to bargain with the devil to, "get things done," but I can't force Trump to do anything.

Me too.  Saw this coming.  If people would have paid attention to Trumps beliefs and statements prior to running they would have known it.  You have to do the research.  Trump was a smooth talker.  Art of the deal illusion.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 02:41:29 pm »

QFT

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »
....except 'WIN'.

Yeah, that's not exactly comforting, DC.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2017, 02:53:50 pm »
....except 'WIN'.

Where's the winning?  A handful of EO's and a truck load of missteps infighting and miscues.  No significant legislation and now he's back tracking on everything his minions told us were reasons to vote for him.  He's attacked Conservatives and is openly playing footsie with the Dems.

Not sure what your definition of a "win" is...but that doesn't look like a win to most normal people.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:39 pm »

Donald Schwarzenegger.

This is not exactly unprecedented. But if Trump follows through on his threat to deal with democrats then he will earn himself an unprecedented reputation as a presidential prevaricator.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2017, 02:57:43 pm »

It's your choice whether to make yourself irrelevant.   

I choose to advocate for what's possible.   I prefer conservative solutions, and would advocate for the most conservative legislation that can actually get passed.   But that's not how the Freedom Caucus sees it - they still see themselves as backbenchers,  more concerned with ideological purity than governance. 

But there's a price to be paid for such stubbornness.   Trump won't stand for it - he wants to fix things.   He'll partner with centrist Dems if he has to - and render the Freedom Caucus irrelevant.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 03:03:07 pm »

This is not exactly unprecedented. But if Trump follows through on his threat to deal with democrats then he will earn himself an unprecedented reputation as a presidential prevaricator.

Don't be so sure.  He may earn himself a reputation as a pragmatist who cuts through the partisan bullsh!t and gets things done for the people.   

Conservatives have blinders on.  So do the most partisan liberals.    The American people are fed up with sideshows and obstructionism for its own sake.    That's the message of Trump's election.  Conservatives have an unprecedented opportunity to show they can govern.   But they can also show themselves to be nothing more than the SOS.   

Conservatives have far more to lose than Trump does.   Trump's caught the pulse of the American people.  Too many conservatives still view this all as a game.   

Offline skeeter

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:40 pm »

I choose to advocate for what's possible.   I prefer conservative solutions, and would advocate for the most conservative legislation that can actually get passed.   But that's not how the Freedom Caucus sees it - they still see themselves as backbenchers,  more concerned with ideological purity than governance. 

But there's a price to be paid for such stubbornness.   Trump won't stand for it - he wants to fix things.   He'll partner with centrist Dems if he has to - and render the Freedom Caucus irrelevant.

"Fixing things" by partnering with the party that broke them is good governance? Requiring that our politicians follow through on the promises that got them elected is extreme and unreasonable?

What a miserable cynical world you live in.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »
"Fixing things" by partnering with the party that broke them is good governance? Requiring that our politicians follow through on the promises that got them elected is extreme and unreasonable?

What a miserable cynical world you live in.

There's no need to partner with the Dems if Republicans stay united.  Ideology and six bits'll get you a cup of coffee.   

Compromise with centrist Republicans (all of whom are more conservative than any Dem) or force the President to partner with Democrats.  No cynicism, skeeter - but it IS your choice.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2017, 03:18:16 pm »

Constitutional Conservatism is irrelevant?

Seriously...what is your screen name over at DU?

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »

Rest assured any deal with the devil will result in evil winning.

I choose to support conservatism.  If Trump chooses otherwise then he will not have my help.  If I can advance conservative causes with a deal, I'm OK with that.  But that's not what is happening here.  We're advancing liberalism (carbon tax) because we can't get things done within the GOP.  Your point above.

If your OK with liberal ideals because Trump supports them, fine.  I won't join your insanity.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
Rest assured any deal with the devil will result in evil winning.

I choose to support conservatism.  If Trump chooses otherwise then he will not have my help.  If I can advance conservative causes with a deal, I'm OK with that.  But that's not what is happening here.  We're advancing liberalism (carbon tax) because we can't get things done within the GOP.  Your point above.

If your OK with liberal ideals because Trump supports them, fine.  I won't join your insanity.

Think, bonehead, think.   I don't support a carbon tax.   The GOP has the opportunity, by staying united,  of advancing conservatism by rendering liberalism irrelevant.   But the Freedom Caucus doesn't want unity.  It wants ideological purity even if it means, for example, that the ACA survives.   That's nuts -  and Trump doesn't have the patience to abide such insanity.   He'll partner with Dems,  and gain their support by giving them some of what they want.  Such as a carbon tax.

If it comes to that, blame yourselves, conservatives, for insisting on perfection at the cost of the good.