Author Topic: Russia vetoes UN resolution to condemn Syria chemical attack  (Read 537 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Russia vetoes UN resolution to condemn Syria chemical attack
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:16 pm »
Russia vetoes UN resolution to condemn Syria chemical attack
CNBC, Apr 13, 2017, AP

Russia vetoed a U.N. resolution Wednesday that would have condemned the reported use of chemical weapons in a town in northern Syria and demanded a speedy investigation, triggering clashes between Moscow and the measure's Western backers.

The vote on the Security Council resolution drafted by Britain, France and the United States was 10 in favor, Russia and Bolivia against, and China, Kazakhstan and Ethiopia abstaining.

It was the eighth veto by Russia, a close ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad, on a Western-backed Syria resolution and reflected the deep division that has left the U.N.'s most powerful body struggling to tackle the use of banned chemical weapons and to help end the six-year Syrian conflict. China has vetoed six resolutions.

More: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/russia-vetoes-un-resolution-to-condemn-syria-chemical-attack.html

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Russia vetoes UN resolution to condemn Syria chemical attack
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:12:54 pm »
Most interesting for me is China abstained. 

I'm starting to think the meetings in Mar-a-Largo last weekend were pretty darn successful.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:24:22 pm »
Most interesting for me is China abstained. 

I'm starting to think the meetings in Mar-a-Largo last weekend were pretty darn successful.

There's plenty of room for your optimism there @Right_in_Virginia about China abstaining and it's a good thing but so far we've learned that China's no longer manipulating their currency and their favored nation status is being upgraded, I guess the bright side is Trump hasn't given away the South China Sea, yet.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 09:25:41 pm »
   There's plenty of room for your optimism there @Right_in_Virginia about China abstaining and it's a good thing .../

Agree!!

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 09:33:32 pm »
   I don't know about you @Right_in_Virginia  but if I was Taiwan, I'd be very worried right about now in spite of the early reach arounds Trump did upon his inauguration.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:02 pm »
Says a lot about Russia..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org