Author Topic: The Most Stunningly Detailed 2016 Election Map Was Just Released—Democrats Should Be Scared, Very Scared  (Read 919 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Trump administration is off to a rocky start, as every week seems to bring new turmoil and drama. However, it is important to remember how shockingly unlikely this presidency was in the first place.
Exhibit A:
Twitter/@HuffingtonPost

Since Trump went from nearly zero chance of becoming Leader of the Free World to launching missiles at our enemies, one is left to ask: what trends led to this fate for Democrats?

Ryne Rohla at Decision Desk HQ set out to model American voting patterns, not just on a national or state level, but by burrowing down to the most localized, nuanced metric available: local precincts. Because of the incredible locality and difficulty of attaining such data, few have ever attempted to map the voting populace in this way. Rohla persisted. He explains in his piece entitled, “Creating a National Precinct Map”:

Election results show so much more than simply who won and lost a constitutionally-legitimized popularity contest. Election results lay bare the souls of its voters, translating millions of individual hopes, dreams, fears, aspirations, and biases into tangible, observable quantities. No census or survey can truly capture that singular moment of personal truth which occurs in the ballot box. We can identify your race, your income, a list of a thousand other measurable values which statistically imply the outcome of this moment, but as deterministic as we might try to make it seem, it always comes down to a final act of free will. These individual acts sum to make manifest the inner milieu of a people at a particular moment in time, a secular sacrament ordaining to our political priesthood.

In other words, Rohla knows that voting trends reflect the true spirit of a people, at least for a window in time. This data is important and measuring it accurately is essential. However, even in our digital-first society, nailing down the accurate voting habits of a rural district is difficult.

Precinct data, despite providing the clearest available picture of how areas vote, can be quite difficult to both come by and to visualize. There isn’t a singular, unified source of precinct-level data nationally nor even at the statewide level in many cases. Precinct boundaries frequently shift over time, especially during the decennial redistricting process following each Census.

After spending most of my spare time in 2015 working on a global religion map, the 2016 Presidential Primaries rolled around, and I decided to go for it: I would do everything in my power to create a national precinct map. I didn’t have a team of researchers. I didn’t have aides. I didn’t have much extra money. I didn’t have connections. But for some reason, I thought I could do it anyway.

Hundreds of emails and phone calls and months of work later, here’s what I came up with:

More: http://ijr.com/2017/04/841803-stunningly-detailed-2016-election-map-just-released-democrats-scared-scared

The map itself has been posted a few times recently ( @Bigun   :beer: ) Thought the background on it might be interesting.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

I guess we have definitive proof of who really is the nitch regional party.....

Offline Suppressed

I guess we have definitive proof of who really is the nitch regional party.....

Just because the GOP can't get the population centers, I wouldn't dismiss them as merely niche.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
    Hundreds of emails and phone calls and months of work later, here’s what I came up with:

More: http://ijr.com/2017/04/841803-stunningly-detailed-2016-election-map-just-released-democrats-scared-scared

The map itself has been posted a few times recently ( @Bigun   :beer: ) Thought the background on it might be interesting.

@EC  @Suppressed

Thanks my brother! The background is indeed interesting!  This map, along with the one Suppressed posted tells the story better than a million words on paper ever could!  I doubt anyone will ever see either of them on the evening news!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:27:48 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Good post.  I like seeing the numbers visualized and I know it takes a ton of work to prepare a map like this.  This is my favorite line from his article:

I didn’t have a team of researchers. I didn’t have aides. I didn’t have much extra money. I didn’t have connections. But for some reason, I thought I could do it anyway.

Offline Suppressed

@EC  @Suppressed

Thanks my brother! The background is indeed interesting!  This map, along with the one Suppressed posted tells the story better than a million words on paper ever could!  I doubt anyone will ever see either of them on the evening news!

@Bigun @Norm Lenhart

Anyone who grew up in rural New York knows that story... lots of red overwhelmed by the cities.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

Good post.  I like seeing the numbers visualized and I know it takes a ton of work to prepare a map like this.  This is my favorite line from his article:

I didn’t have a team of researchers. I didn’t have aides. I didn’t have much extra money. I didn’t have connections. But for some reason, I thought I could do it anyway.

That spirit is something wonderful.
+++++++++

Offline LonestarDream

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
The maps shown are great.  I'd like to see him take all that data and create 2 more sets.

[1] Show only the areas where a change occurred from one election to the next.

[2] Show only those areas that did not change.

Seems to me that would take some great data and move it to the next level.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The maps shown are great.  I'd like to see him take all that data and create 2 more sets.

[1] Show only the areas where a change occurred from one election to the next.

[2] Show only those areas that did not change.

Seems to me that would take some great data and move it to the next level.

@Hondo69

Here are the 2012 versions and if you study them closely you can see the differences for yourself.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

Just because the GOP can't get the population centers, I wouldn't dismiss them as merely niche.

Eh, you took the exact opposite meaning of my post for some unknown reason. The Rats are clearly the regional party. There are massive portions of the US that the GOP own now. The Rats just have small areas, otherwise known as regions.