Author Topic: Kelly: No border wall 'from sea to shining sea'  (Read 553 times)

Offline libertybele

Kelly: No border wall 'from sea to shining sea'
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:14:08 am »
Kelly: No border wall 'from sea to shining sea'

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly said Wednesday it is "unlikely" that the Trump administration will build a full wall along the entire Southern border, despite President Donald Trump's consistent promises to that effect.
"It is unlikely that we will build a wall, a physical barrier, from sea to shining sea," Kelly told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Wednesday morning.
Kelly did say it is still "very likely" that more border barriers will be built, but that they will be strategic.

"Physical barriers work," Kelly said.

Committee Chairman Ron Johnson and top Democrat on the committee Sen. Claire McCaskill both noted that the agents on the border say they would prefer fencing -- so that they can see what's happening on the other side of the border.
"Is the President OK with fencing instead of the wall?" McCaskill asked Kelly.
"The President has told me, 'Kelly, go do it. We need to protect the Southern border in any way that makes sense,'" Kelly said.
"The President knows that I'm looking at variations on the theme, and I have no doubt that when I go back to him and say, 'Wall makes sense here, high-tech fencing makes sense over here, technology makes sense over here,' I have no doubt he'll tell me to go do it," he added.
McCaskill praised Kelly's response -- and called it "embarrassing" that Trump won't admit his promise isn't doable. She added that members of Congress almost uniformly rejects the idea of a 2,000-mile concrete wall and won't appropriate funds for it and asked Kelly to "speak truth to power in that regard."
"As soon as we (can) stop this, 'from sea to shining sea we're going to build a wall and the Mexicans are going to pay for it' -- it's embarrassing," McCaskill said. "Everyone in Congress knows it's not going to happen. ... It appears the only person who won't say it out loud is the President."

In his written testimony submitted to the committee, Kelly said the money requested by the administration would go toward a variety of investments, including technology and fencing. .....

.....Also in the hearing, Kelly touted an "absolutely amazing" drop in the number of apprehensions at the Southern border on Wednesday as evidence that Trump's executive orders are already working.

As CNN first reported Tuesday, the number of apprehensions at the Southwest border dropped by 35% in March from the month before, the second month in a row that apprehensions dropped substantially.
In both February and March, the drop in apprehensions defied a 17-year trend. Going back to 2000, according to Customs and Border Patrol data, apprehensions have increased every February and every March.
Kelly touted the numbers as an example of the effectiveness of Trump's early policies and executive orders on immigration enforcement already having an effect. ......

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/politics/kelly-testimony-senate-homeland-border-security-wall/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Kelly: No border wall 'from sea to shining sea'
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:18:26 am »
What about from Ocean to Murky Gulf?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:34:18 am »
What about from Ocean to Murky Gulf?

That'll work!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:38:08 am »
There won't be a wall. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:45:31 am »
There won't be a wall.

Its one of the reasons I voted for Cruz. He didn't treat us like morons and over promise more than he could deliver. He promised to finish what has already been approved and use other measures like more border patrol, speedy deportations, cutting welfare to illegals, real penalties for those who knowingly hire illegals.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:29 pm »
With 1954 miles of border, 2000 miles of wall would go overboard (literally).
It was never going to go in all at once, and some parts just won't get a wall because of logistical considerations.

Popular incursion routes should be well documented. Viable alternates should be easy to spot.
Use barriers to reduce incursions, and to channel the remaining flow into areas where the illegals will be relatively easy to round up and where their chances of getting to distribution corridors are reduced and likelihood of success is significantly diminished.  Give the coyotes a bad name by wrecking their reputations.

Block those areas, with a bit of overlap, where immediately possible and then connect those barrier sectors where it can be done. Study terrain, and the obvious alternate routes with high probability of success can be blocked or routed into 'catch basins' at the same time.

No one expects to completely close the border--not even the Berlin Wall succeeded in being 100% impenetrable--but a serious increase in difficulty might contribute to a reduction in illegal border crossings and would make stateside cleanup efforts seem like far less of a losing proposition.
More vigorously pursuing the removal of illegals here could accomplish something if the way back in wasn't so open.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:09:09 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 12:10:19 pm »
Its one of the reasons I voted for Cruz. He didn't treat us like morons and over promise more than he could deliver. He promised to finish what has already been approved and use other measures like more border patrol, speedy deportations, cutting welfare to illegals, real penalties for those who knowingly hire illegals.
I didn't get to vote for Cruz (no caucus, no primary for POTUS, which is why I am no longer GOP), but I fully agreed he had the right answers and supported him. However, he is in a position to advocate strongly in the Senate for measures which can work. Those measures can still be applied, and imho, are essential to success. No single solution will get the job done.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis