Author Topic: AP: Official: Russia knew in advance of Syrian chemical attack  (Read 791 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Official: Russia knew in advance of Syrian chemical attack
 By ROBERT BURNS   AP National Security Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A senior U.S. official says the United States has concluded that Russia knew in advance of Syria's chemical weapons attack last week.

The official says a Russian-operated drone flew over a hospital in Syria as victims of the attack were rushing to get treatment.

Hours after the drone left, a Russian-made fighter jet bombed the hospital in what American officials believe was an attempt to cover up the usage of chemical weapons.

Continued: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_UNITED_STATES_SYRIA_MILITARY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-04-10-15-32-53

That's all pretty evil if such occurred and I don't see how this kind of story could be concocted.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: AP: Official: Russia knew in advance of Syrian chemical attack
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:29:13 pm »
So what does this mean...what happens now?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 08:33:10 pm »
One big question I see is the assumption that because something is of Russian origin, they had to know. They sell this equipment on the open market and they are the major supplier of arms to Syria. Just because a Russian Drone was flying over the site doesn't mean it was doing so under the command or authority of Russia itself. Same with the jet that destroyed the hospital.

Hell, the ISIS groups there are using Russian arms as well,  many taken from Syrian bases and warehouses they over-ran.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:27 pm »
One big question I see is the assumption that because something is of Russian origin, they had to know. They sell this equipment on the open market and they are the major supplier of arms to Syria. Just because a Russian Drone was flying over the site doesn't mean it was doing so under the command or authority of Russia itself. Same with the jet that destroyed the hospital.

The jet took off from an airfield controlled by the Syrian government.  If they want to come out and say "hey, ISIS stole one of our jets", and if the Russians were to come out and say "hey, ISIS is flying our drones" (assuming that story is verified in something more than an anonymous leak) , then I'd consider the possibility that those countries weren't controlling that equipment.  But if the Syrians aren't claiming their jet was stolen...why should we even entertain that possibility?

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:20 pm »
That's all pretty evil if such occurred and I don't see how this kind of story could be concocted.

It's an anonymous leak.  We have no idea if it is true or not, and could well be something put forward by hawks somewhere within the government.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:57:14 pm »
One thing I know as a general comment, President Obama was highly repulsed by Assad. The higher-ups do know what is going on over there. Yes, there could be some false rumors, undoubtedly that is so.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 08:58:30 pm »
The jet took off from an airfield controlled by the Syrian government.  If they want to come out and say "hey, ISIS stole one of our jets", and if the Russians were to come out and say "hey, ISIS is flying our drones" (assuming that story is verified in something more than an anonymous leak) , then I'd consider the possibility that those countries weren't controlling that equipment.  But if the Syrians aren't claiming their jet was stolen...why should we even entertain that possibility?

I don't doubt, at least for the hospital incident, that Syria did. The question is regarding the Russians as an official action as implied by the article.

Based on the arguments some made around the reason to attack Syria, we really should be sure about this before we demand retaliation against Russia too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
Based on the arguments some made around the reason to attack Syria, we really should be sure about this before we demand retaliation against Russia too.

Absolutely.  Attacking Russian troops is a hell of a lot different from bombing a Syrian airfield.  As a matter of fact, I wouldn't bomb them even if we had proof it was the Russians.  Although I think that's a pretty fanciful scenario because Russia does not want to see the kind of sanctions that would result from that -- the risk/reward is just too skewed for them to do it because it's not their war anyway.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:56:00 pm »
We already knew the Russians were told, it's SOP over there. Or was, until the Russians "ripped up" the agreement

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:11:39 pm »
Per the New Republic:

By David Schenker
April 8, 2011

During the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Syria’s Assad regime was helping insurgents to cross the border and kill Americans....

...So too is the atavistic attachment to a regime that not only has killed thousands of its own citizens, but contributed to the deaths of dozens if not hundreds of U.S. troops and contractors in Iraq. Support for the regime goes beyond the standard “devil you know” rationale.

Continued: https://newrepublic.com/article/86465/syria-assad-bush-obama-pentagon

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:34:07 pm »
So what does this mean...what happens now?
@mystery-ak

I read that and it says our men in Syria are now subject to attack by Syria as retaliation for our bombing.  That may be your "what happens now?"