Author Topic: Passengers ‘shaky and so disgusted’ as United forces screaming doctor off a plane  (Read 30317 times)

Offline LonestarDream

I find it amazing that other passengers, after witnessing this spectacle, would be so bold as to push their luck.

Glad to see there was some outrage.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline thackney

Did it turn out to be a Billion?  It was 600 Million early in the day, so a $1 Billion loss is certainly believable.

I don't know about taking gates away, that would only be good for the passengers if there were competing airlines to fill them, but they're certainly getting their butts kicked at the NYSE.  That's a lot of capital to lose.

@LonestarDream

No, it is down ~1%, $255 million after recovering much of the early day losses.

Shares in United Continental Holdings Inc. on Tuesday came off their worst levels, but ended off 1.1% as the airline continued to draw flak for having a passenger forcibly dragged off a plane Sunday.

United UAL wiped about $255 million off its market capitalization. The company’s market cap was $22.5 billion as of Monday’s close, according to FactSet data.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/uniteds-stock-is-set-to-fall-5-and-wipe-1-billion-off-the-airlines-market-cap-2017-04-11
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@LonestarDream

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/uniteds-stock-is-set-to-fall-5-and-wipe-1-billion-off-the-airlines-market-cap-2017-04-11

Thanks for the update.  The broader market rallied in the last few hours, too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LonestarDream

@LonestarDream

Was referring to the low water mark.  Lets take away their gates and see how their market cap holds up.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I find it amazing that other passengers, after witnessing this spectacle, would be so bold as to push their luck.
Actually, I find that encouraging.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Then they should have boarded first.  They let customers board, then threw them off.  Never heard of an airline doing that.

'Threw them off'.  Good grief, are you talking about the same incident or have you read this from somewhere else?

Nobody was thrown off.

And at times, one can be unseated. Read my earlier post.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:25:43 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I didn't realize somebody would read what I said and take me so literally.  Only one person was "thrown."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I didn't realize somebody would read what I said and take me so literally.  Only one person was "thrown."
who?

Do you know tHe difference between thrown and removed?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
who?

Apparently not.  I guess I'm stupid.  But then, I don't go around thinking people mean literally "thrown" when somebody gets thrown off a plane either, so I guess maybe we're even.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Apparently not.  I guess I'm stupid.  But then, I don't go around thinking people mean literally "thrown" when somebody gets thrown off a plane either, so I guess maybe we're even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHSPf6x1Fdo
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Smokin Joe

who?

Yep. About half the time I threw someone out of a bar, I dragged them out, I didn't throw them. They were all removed. Technically, he wasn't thrown out, he was dragged out.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yep. About half the time I threw someone out of a bar, I dragged them out, I didn't throw them. They were all removed. Technically, he wasn't thrown out, he was dragged out.

I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

We are so screwed.

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline LonestarDream

Don Guevara‏ @DonGuevara1 14m14 minutes ago

@NC9 at 5- some passengers flying into El Paso on @united say the airline asked people to deplane bc of an over booked flight

So much for United cleaning up their act.  Take their gates away. 

Offline LonestarDream

Christie urges Transportation Dept. to "immediately suspend" rule allowing airlines to overbook flights http://hill.cm/otK7XMd

My remedy only takes gates away from the offending airline.

Offline LonestarDream

http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-united-low-priority-passenger-20170412-story.html

It’s hard to find examples of worse decision-making and customer treatment than United Airlines having a passenger dragged from an overbooked plane. But United’s shabby treatment of Geoff Fearns, including a threat to place him in handcuffs, comes close.

Fearns, 59, is president of TriPacific Capital Advisors, an Irvine investment firm that handles more than half a billion dollars in real estate holdings on behalf of public pension funds. He had to fly to Hawaii last week for a business conference.

Fearns needed to return early so he paid about $1,000 for a full-fare, first-class ticket to Los Angeles. He boarded the aircraft at Lihue Airport on the island of Kauai, took his seat and enjoyed a complimentary glass of orange juice while awaiting takeoff.

Then, as Fearns tells it, a United employee rushed onto the aircraft and informed him that he had to get off the plane.

“I asked why,” he told me. “They said the flight was overfull.”

Fearns, like the doctor at the center of that viral video from Sunday night, held his ground. He was already on plane, already seated. He shouldn’t have to disembark.

“That’s when they told me they needed the seat for somebody more important who came at the last minute,” Fearns said. “They said they have a priority list and this other person was higher on the list than me.”
LA 90: United Airlines incident

Apparently United had some mechanical troubles with the aircraft scheduled to make the flight. So the carrier swapped out that plane with a slightly smaller one with fewer first-class seats.

Suddenly it had more first-class passengers than it knew what to do with. So it turned to its “How to Screw Over Customers” handbook and determined that the one in higher standing — more miles flown, presumably — gets the seat and the other first-class passenger, even though he’s also a member of the frequent-flyer program, gets the boot.

“I understand you might bump people because a flight is full,” Fearns said. “But they didn’t say anything at the gate. I was already in the seat. And now they were telling me I had no choice. They said they’d put me in cuffs if they had to.”

You couldn’t make this up if you tried.

It shouldn’t make any difference where a passenger is seated or how much he or she paid for their ticket. But you have to admire the sheer chutzpah of United putting the arm on a full-fare, first-class traveler. If there’s anybody whose business you want to safeguard and cultivate, it’s that person.

So how could United possibly make things worse? Not to worry. This is the airline that knows how to add insult to injury.

A United employee, responding to Fearns’ complaint that he shouldn’t have to miss the flight, compromised by downgrading him to economy class and placing him in the middle seat between a married couple who were in the midst of a nasty fight and refused to be seated next to each other.

“They argued the whole way back,” Fearns recalled. “Nearly six hours. It was a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:23:44 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Without apology ... this is funny!   :laugh:

@DCPatriot

I must admit...I've been LMAO over that meme.
I will NOT comply.

Offline LonestarDream

United suing a parody website that also documents customer complaints .  Wants to shut them down.

TAKE AWAY UNITED GATES.

http://mashable.com/2017/04/11/united-airlines-untied-jeremy-cooperstock/?utm_campaign=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#SpqloRdCe5qP

What's This?
By Colin Daileda

United Airlines, you may have heard, is having some public relations difficulties. United Airlines does not like public relations difficulties. How do I know this?

I spoke with a man who claims to have collected tens of thousands of complaints against the airline since the '90s—and now the company is suing

him.

"It's no surprise that United would be the airline at the center of this event, given its part and parcel of United's philosophy that passengers are not human beings, even employees are not human beings," said Jeremy Cooperstock.

He was just as appalled as the next person after watching that video of police tossing a United passenger from his seat on an overbooked flight and dragging him off the plane, but I will say Cooperstock was probably far less stunned than the rest of us.

He runs a website called untied.com (read that url closely). It's something of a United parody site that also collects customer complaints directed at United and helps those customers file real complaints. The top of the site says untied.com has "collected, posted and forwarded over 30,000 complaints against United Airlines." It's been around since 1997, when Cooperstock started the site after he got one of those generic corporate responses to a complaint he filed.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Cyber asked (EC):
"Riding in a van while somebody else drives counts as time working?"

On the railroad, it would.

A crew might be "deadheaded" from its starting location to an outlying point to bring a train back to where the crew started from. Or the job might be "one way and deadhead back" (work out, ride back).

One could deadhead in one's own car, in a cab, in a company vehicle, on a train. Whatever it took to "get there" or "get back".

On Amtrak, some jobs 'way out west are even advertised to the effect that "deadheading by aircraft" may be required! (at least they used to be)

The point is, one "goes on duty" at the home "crew base", and is under pay until he returns to that crew base, at least for "turn jobs" (jobs that go out and back in one day). There are off-duty periods involved with laying over in distant terminals...

Offline thackney

Don Guevara‏ @DonGuevara1 14m14 minutes ago

@NC9 at 5- some passengers flying into El Paso on @united say the airline asked people to deplane bc of an over booked flight

So much for United cleaning up their act.  Take their gates away.

This is silly.  Nearly every airline overbooks.  We don't need government intervention at this point.  There are enough choices for the market to handle this.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer