Author Topic: Now It's the Army That Wants a New Rifle  (Read 351 times)

rangerrebew

Now It's the Army That Wants a New Rifle
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:51:18 am »
Now It's the Army That Wants a New Rifle

U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Steven Galimore.
By Kyle Mizokami
Apr 6, 2017

On the heels of the Marine Corps' desire for a new rifle for its infantrymen, the U.S. Army now says it is contemplating a dramatic switch in rifles. The service is considering going back to battle rifles—heavier rifles that can hit targets at longer ranges. The last time the Army fielded such a rifle was in the 1960s.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a25974/now-its-the-army-that-wants-a-new-rifle/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:52:05 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Now It's the Army That Wants a New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:07:53 am »
Well, they are facing the 7.62X54 R cartridge being shot back. Roughly in the same weight class as the .30-06, and about the same age. How about resurrecting the BAR?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

Re: Now It's the Army That Wants a New Rifle
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:52:17 am »
I would hope they learned from the roll out of the M-16. I can still remember the damn things jamming at the most inopportune times.....any replacement should be phased in slowly.