Author Topic: California is getting so much power from solar that wholesale electricity prices are turning negative  (Read 6025 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The extraordinary success of solar power in some pockets of the world that combine sunshine with high investment in the technology mean that governments and energy companies are having radically to rethink the way they manage—and charge for—electricity.

California is one such a place.

On March 11, it passed a milestone on the route to powering the whole state sustainably. For the first time, more than half the power needs of the entire state came from solar power for a few hours that day, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).

The power came from utility-scale solar photovoltaic farms, solar thermal plants, and the panels installed on private homes. Based on the data it collects, the EIA estimated that in total that capacity produced 4 million kWh of electricity during peak times on March 11.

It’s a massive and rapid change: Just 15 years ago, the state produced almost no power from solar at all.

More: https://qz.com/953614/california-produced-so-much-power-from-solar-energy-this-spring-that-wholesale-electricity-prices-turned-negative/

:huh?:

Leaving this one to the people who actually know what the hell they're on about.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DB

The extraordinary success of solar power in some pockets of the world that combine sunshine with high investment in the technology mean that governments and energy companies are having radically to rethink the way they manage—and charge for—electricity.

California is one such a place.

On March 11, it passed a milestone on the route to powering the whole state sustainably. For the first time, more than half the power needs of the entire state came from solar power for a few hours that day, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).

The power came from utility-scale solar photovoltaic farms, solar thermal plants, and the panels installed on private homes. Based on the data it collects, the EIA estimated that in total that capacity produced 4 million kWh of electricity during peak times on March 11.

It’s a massive and rapid change: Just 15 years ago, the state produced almost no power from solar at all.

More: https://qz.com/953614/california-produced-so-much-power-from-solar-energy-this-spring-that-wholesale-electricity-prices-turned-negative/

Leaving this one to the people who actually know what the hell they're on about.

Well that's come at a huge price. The bulk of my electricity is billed at $0.40 a kwh and I'm pissed about it.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Almost  always massively subsidized.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yeah - it seems subsidised by mugs. If the wholesale prices of electricity are turning negative, the people who put in solar (for example) and expected the sale of any overage to help with the break even cost just got royally screwed.

At least, that's my reading of it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This exemplifies the problem with solar: one cannot store much of the energy.  To cyclic to be a primary power source.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

Seems like they simply measured a transient spike, and then declared it a milestone.  What did the rate drop back down to after the spike?

• Technical
This exemplifies the problem with solar: one cannot store much of the energy.  To cyclic to be a primary power source.

Solar to hydrogen is a good bet imo.

Oceander

Offline endicom

...4 million kWh of electricity...

Let's see, that equals...uhh...not much.

Offline skeeter

Well that's come at a huge price. The bulk of my electricity is billed at $0.40 a kwh and I'm pissed about it.

And have you noticed the price of natural gas has recently caught up with electricity.

They have us coming and going.

Offline endicom

"The LADWP notes that the average power use in L.A. during the summer is 4,700 megawatts..."

http://www.scpr.org/news/2015/09/09/54303/ladwp-power-usage-hits-2015-high-during-la-heat-wa/

Online DB

Seems like they simply measured a transient spike, and then declared it a milestone.  What did the rate drop back down to after the spike?

Probably a cool day (minimal air conditioner use) and clear sky.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I agree.  @thackney?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

They pretty much say that's what it says in the story.  March 11.  One four-hour occurrence on one day.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

Maybe half what it would be without the subsidies from other tax payers?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

And have you noticed the price of natural gas has recently caught up with electricity.

They have us coming and going.

Similar prices for similar amounts of energy?  Where do you see that?

Offline thackney

Online DB

Maybe half what it would be without the subsidies from other tax payers?

I'm considering moving to Arizona where electricity is about $0.11 kwh. My electric bill averages about $800 a month prior to the increase to $0.40 kwh on March 1st. I work at home, have lots of electronic equipment (test equipment, computers, high speed switches, network attached storage, etc.). California just increased the gas tax another $0.12 a gallon, annual registration fees for cars increased $175 on newer cars. The top income tax rate is around 11% and the sales tax is pushing 9%. And then there's property taxes I pay which is more than most peoples mortgage... I've had enough.

My business partners and I are also working on moving our business out of California to Arizona. It's been here for 21 years. The business brings more than $4 million into California each year.

• Technical
How so?

Look into it. Fossil fuels are here to stay for the time being, but eventually their prices will rise to where solar is viable, and I believe hydrogen will be the storage medium. You can make hydrogen gas at home from electricity through electrolysis at home.

Offline skeeter

Similar prices for similar amounts of energy?  Where do you see that?

All I know is my gas expense is now equal to my electricity expense (which itself has gone up about 50%), whereas a year ago gas represented about 30% of the electrical portion.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Look into it. Fossil fuels are here to stay for the time being, but eventually their prices will rise to where solar is viable
where did you get that information?

The word 'eventually' is likely lifetimes away.   Is that what you meant?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Look into it. Fossil fuels are here to stay for the time being, but eventually their prices will rise to where solar is viable, and I believe hydrogen will be the storage medium. You can make hydrogen gas at home from electricity through electrolysis at home.

I've had to work with hydrogen in refineries.  That experience convinces me it will never be a common fuel source without massive government subsidy.  It is so expensive to deal with.  Special alloys, special finishes for all components to make a seal, massive losses to compress to a usable pressure due to the low specific gravity.  It is a terrible fuel without someone else paying the bills, or an necessity to meet the requirements in a refinery.

Oceander

Look into what?  Storing solar energy using hydrogen?  You're not making much sense, with all due respect.

• Technical
Look into what?  Storing solar energy using hydrogen?  You're not making much sense, with all due respect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar%E2%80%93hydrogen_energy_cycle

I found out about this by reading up on using electrolysis to clean off rust off of old metal. A byproduct is flammable hydrogen gas.

A good description of the process:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

This is a different process than the one above, but it does go to show you that storing energy from the sun in the form of hydrogen is possible.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:08:18 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

• Technical
where did you get that information?

The word 'eventually' is likely lifetimes away.   Is that what you meant?

It will not happen in our lifetime, possibly not our children's lifetime. But I think eventually the prices will converge.