Author Topic: The Wrong Problem (Syriasly)  (Read 359 times)

Offline endicom

The Wrong Problem (Syriasly)
« on: April 09, 2017, 02:21:18 am »
PJ Media
Richard Fernandez
Apr. 7, 2017

Despite the fact that a Syrian airbase was targeted by US cruise missiles it is Russia and Iran that are squarely in the crosshairs of the administration.  One hint is who's cheering and who's jeering.  ABC news says "Netanyahu welcomes US attack on Syria base".  Al Jazeera reports that "Saudi Arabia said it 'fully supports' the strikes, adding that it was a 'courageous decision' by Trump in response to the alleged use of chemical weapons against civilians in Khan Sheikhoun."  Iran by contrast "said it strongly condemned the missile strikes against the Syrian army's Shayrat air base."  Hezbollah was beside itself with anger.   Russia strongly condemned "the illegitimate actions by the US" and warned of "extremely serious" consequences.

Suddenly it seems clear that the administration is trying to reduce Russia's influence in the region and Israel is determined never to have Iranian proxies established in southern Syria. The Sunnis now realize that there is alternative protector to the Jihad: America.  That was was the political basis of the Surge.

More... https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2017/04/07/the-wrong-problem/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: The Wrong Problem (Syriasly)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:41 am »
In 1983; the Beirut Barracks were bombed killing many, Marines and Multi-National Forces, I've heard other stories that the Syrians don't fool around. So we need to be on our guard but do the right things.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 03:17:08 am »
In 1983; the Beirut Barracks were bombed killing many, Marines and Multi-National Forces, I've heard other stories that the Syrians don't fool around. So we need to be on our guard but do the right things.

No one there is fooling around. Not now, anyway.

We may do the right things if we know what things to do. We need good intelligence.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:33:30 am »
I'll offer a totally nonsensical solution that I would never advocate but does have a minor basis in reality.

Instead of bombing the Syrian base to smithereens with tomahawk missiles just air drop cases and cases of sarin gas down to the warring parties.  Then let them have at it.

It would be a compromise aimed at appeasing all factions.  Russia and Iran wouldn't complain since that's right up their alley.  Hezbollah would be licking their chops since it would open the door to new opportunities.  Israel would give it a big thumbs up.  Gosh, it's a win/win all the way around.

Yes, it is a facetious idea.  But one designed to point out we're only talking about a matter of degree here.  Need some AK-47's - how many truckloads do you need?  How about some MANPADS, you got it.  Can I interest you in a little number we like to call "further measures" - Ahrar al-Sham gives it 5 stars.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:42:56 am »
I have often felt that the essential quandry when confronted by warring factions in a Muslim nation was one of which side to air drop ammo to. I guess whoever is running low. :pondering:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:27:23 am »
I'll offer a totally nonsensical solution that I would never advocate but does have a minor basis in reality.

Instead of bombing the Syrian base to smithereens with tomahawk missiles just air drop cases and cases of sarin gas down to the warring parties.  Then let them have at it.

It would be a compromise aimed at appeasing all factions.  Russia and Iran wouldn't complain since that's right up their alley.  Hezbollah would be licking their chops since it would open the door to new opportunities.  Israel would give it a big thumbs up.  Gosh, it's a win/win all the way around.

Yes, it is a facetious idea.  But one designed to point out we're only talking about a matter of degree here.  Need some AK-47's - how many truckloads do you need?  How about some MANPADS, you got it.  Can I interest you in a little number we like to call "further measures" - Ahrar al-Sham gives it 5 stars.

Not absurd at all. The sarin gas that was used likely came from us in the first place.  It was sold to Iraq by our CIA to help in its war with Iran, then transferred to Syria by Saddam prior to the Iraq war.

I don't know about conspiracy theories, but it does seem odd that Assad would decide to use nerve gas just after the Trump administration had surrendered on regime change, and on the eve of the Chinese visit, when Trump needed to look decisive on North Korea.  Then the Russians are given a heads up before our strike on the Syrian base.  I suspect there is more here than meets the eye.