Author Topic: Quincy Center jeweler wins suit over Yelp review  (Read 594 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Quincy Center jeweler wins suit over Yelp review
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:19 am »
QUINCY -- A jury has decided that a Quincy Center jewelry store employee owes the owner of a nearby shop more than $30,000 for posting a false Yelp review about the rival establishment.

Adam Jacobs, an employee of Toodie’s Fine Jewelry, has to pay Stephen Blumberg, the owner of Stephen Leigh Jewelers, $34,500 for the emotional distress a jury decided that Jacobs caused by knowingly posting the false information.

Posted in August 2013, the multi-paragraph review detailed a supposed visit to Stephen Leigh Jewelers. The reviewer said he entered the shop looking to buy a 1.5-carat diamond engagement ring and had a generally bad experience. As a result, the reviewer said he would advise someone interested in buying jewelry or a watch to “go elsewhere.”

Blumberg’s lawsuit stated that the interaction never happened.

Reached by phone Tuesday, Blumberg said he figured out that “Adam J.” was Jacobs by phoning other businesses that “Adam J.” had reviewed on Yelp, which is a site featuring user ratings of stores, restaurants and other establishments.

“I did do research for several months,” Blumberg said. “I knew after two or three that I was right on the target.”

Blumberg filed the lawsuit in December 2013 in Norfolk Superior Court. In addition to suing Jacobs, he also sued Toodie’s, alleging that the store, owned by Jacobs’ father, was also responsible and was looking to tarnish Blumberg’s reputation.

More: http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20170405/quincy-center-jeweler-wins-suit-over-yelp-review

This opens an interesting can of worms, considering the SJW tendancy to give shitty yelp reviews to any business that gets in the news for wrongthink.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Applewood

Re: Quincy Center jeweler wins suit over Yelp review
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:55:40 pm »
That's a problem with these review sites.  You never know if the review is legit. 

TripAdvisor is pretty good.  There was one review of a hotel in Florida that really trashed the place -- every thing from roaches to surly employees.  Now, I stayed at that hotel numerous times and never had a problem, so the review looked suspicious.  Sure enough, management of the hotel posted  a response saying the reviewer was never even a guest at the hotel. 

I just don't get why people feel the need to post a bad review of a business they've never been to.  In this case, it apparently was an effort to ruin the competition, but I understand there are some twisted people who are serial bad reviewers. They get their jollies trashing some business.  They are either nuts or they need to get a life.