Author Topic: Deep sleep could be key to how well you age - study  (Read 479 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Deep sleep could be key to how well you age - study
« on: April 08, 2017, 02:55:26 am »
You may have noticed when you hit your mid-30s the ability to sleep like a log starts to fade. Turns out the consequences could be much more serious than just yawning the next day.

"Sleep changes with ageing, but it doesn't just change with ageing; it can also start to explain ageing itself," says the co-author of a new review looking at the link between sleep and the body's downward spiral.

The reviewers found ageing adults may be losing their ability to have deep, restorative sleep, and older people are likely paying for lost sleep both mentally and physically.

Co-author Matthew Walker, who leads the Sleep and Neuroimaging Laboratory at the University of California, said: "Every one of the major diseases that are killing us in first-world nations - from diabetes to obesity to Alzheimer's disease to cancer - all of those things now have strong causal links to a lack of sleep."

As the brain aged, neurons and circuits in the areas that regulated sleep slowly degraded, resulting in a decreased amount of non-REM sleep. Non-REM deep sleep played a key role in maintaining memory and cognition.

More: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/91208257/deep-sleep-could-be-key-to-how-well-you-age-study

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Deep sleep could be key to how well you age - study
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:57:02 am »
Shit.  I'm doomed.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 03:02:41 am »
Autohypnosis is your friend. I get into bed, do the trigger, and I'm asleep. Takes about a minute.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 04:19:07 am »
Shit.  I'm doomed.

Yeah, me too. And, there I was eating all those darned vegetables when what I really needed was sleep.

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 06:36:48 am »

rangerrebew

Deep, restorative sleep could ward off mental and physical disorders in old age

April 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM

As we grow old, our nights are frequently plagued by bouts of wakefulness, bathroom trips and other nuisances as we lose our ability to generate the deep, restorative slumber we enjoyed in youth.

But does that mean older people just need less sleep?

Not according to UC Berkeley researchers, who argue in an article published April 5 in the journal Neuron that the unmet sleep needs of the elderly elevate their risk of memory loss and a wide range of mental and physical disorders.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170405/Deep-restorative-sleep-could-ward-off-mental-and-physical-disorders-in-old-age.aspx
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:58:39 am by rangerrebew »