Author Topic: Atmosphere Detected around Super-Earth GJ 1132b  (Read 917 times)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Atmosphere Detected around Super-Earth GJ 1132b
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:30 pm »
Atmosphere Detected around Super-Earth GJ 1132b

While we’ve examined the atmospheres of gas giants and have detected atmospheres on the super-Earths 55 Cancri e and GJ 3470 b, GJ 1132b is the smallest world yet where we’ve detected one. 39 light years from Earth in the constellation Vela, the transiting planet is 1.4 Earth radii in size, with a mass 1.6 times that of our world.

With GJ 1132b, we’re dealing with a planet too close to its star to be habitable (it receives 19 times more stellar radiation than the Earth does, and has an equilibrium temperature of 650 K, or 377° C). But finding a thick atmosphere here is encouraging given the level of flare and stellar wind activity on M-dwarfs.

Such activity could strip a planet of its atmosphere in some scenarios, so the survival of atmospheres on planets in the habitable zone of similar stars remains in play. In GJ 1132b, we have a planet whose atmosphere has evidently persisted for billions of years.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: Atmosphere Detected around Super-Earth GJ 1132b
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 10:13:53 pm »
Bring sunblock.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Atmosphere Detected around Super-Earth GJ 1132b
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 01:27:54 am »
Interesting.