Author Topic: World War I Innovations Still Used Today  (Read 815 times)

rangerrebew

World War I Innovations Still Used Today
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:21:46 am »
World War I Innovations Still Used Today

Posted on April 6, 2017 by Yolanda R. Arrington   

By Yolanda R. Arrington

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the United States’ formal entry into World War I. After a long period of neutrality, U.S. lawmakers voted to enter the war, beginning a period of military industrialization never before seen. The Great War, as it’s often called, left an indelible mark on the art of war and catapulted the American military into a more modern age. We’re highlighting a few of those advancements.

http://science.dodlive.mil/2017/04/06/world-war-i-innovations-still-used-today/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:22:35 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: World War I Innovations Still Used Today
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 12:30:29 pm »
While the submarine had undeniably become a more sophisticated weapons system by WWI, the CSS Hunley was the first to sink an enemy vessel in time of war, and was purpose built for the mission.

As for the "cellucotton" revolutionizing feminine hygiene, that comes full circle. Originally a bandaging material, then adapted to form sanitary napkins, when I was EMS we carried them on the Ambulance to use as highly absorbent bandages, and during the Iraq war it was discovered the tampon could stifle bleeding in a wound channel as well.

Poison gas and the use of motor vehicles both really got going, and the Tank was a new development, an answer to the slaughter from well emplaced machine guns.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:31:01 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 12:47:03 pm »
Wasn't the wrist watch brought into vogue in WWI?

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
The Wall Street Journal has selected 100 legacies from World War I that continue to shape our lives today.
http://online.wsj.com/ww1/

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:51:04 pm »
Wasn't the wrist watch brought into vogue in WWI?

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/05/history-wristwatch-apple-watch/391424/

On July 9, 1916, The New York Times puzzled over a fashion trend: Europeans were starting to wear bracelets with clocks on them. Time had migrated to the human wrist, and the development required some explaining.

“Until recently,” the paper observed, “the bracelet watch has been looked upon by Americans as more or less of a joke. Vaudeville artists and moving-picture actors have utilized it as a funmaker, as a ‘silly ass’ fad.”

But the wristwatch was a “silly-ass fad” no more. “The telephone and signal service, which play important parts in modern warfare, have made the wearing of watches by soldiers obligatory,” the Times observed, two years into World War I. “The only practical way in which they can wear them is on the wrist, where the time can be ascertained readily, an impossibility with the old style pocket watch.” Improvements in communications technologies had enabled militaries to more precisely coordinate their maneuvers, and coordination required soldiers to discern the time at a glance. Rifling through your pocket for a watch was not advisable in the chaos of the trenches.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 01:15:46 pm »
The electric stove was pretty significant.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:24:26 pm »
The electric stove was pretty significant.

I don't associate that with WW1

In 1896, William Hadaway received the first patent for an electric stove, and by the late 1920s, these stoves began to compete with their gas counterparts.

https://nationalmaglab.org/education/magnet-academy/history-of-electricity-magnetism/museum/electric-range