Author Topic: Sen. Merkley: If Gorsuch Is Confirmed, Every 5-4 Decision Will Be Illegitimate  (Read 1172 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Merkley: If Gorsuch Is Confirmed, Every 5-4 Decision Will Be Illegitimate

Posted By Tim Hains
On Date March 30, 2017

Sen. Jeff Merkely says a decision to use the 'Nuclear Option' to confirm Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court would "destroy the integrity of the Senate" and "highly politicize the [Supreme] court."

"If this process goes through, every 5-4 decision will be one we will look at and say that it is not really legitimate, because that Supreme Court Justice wasn't really legitimate," he said.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/03/30/sen_merkley_if_gorsuch_is_confirmed_every_5-4_decision_will_be_illegitimate.html
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:32:19 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 :eatdrink:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
Sen. Merkley: If Gorsuch Is Confirmed, Every 5-4 Decision Will Be Illegitimate

Posted By Tim Hains
On Date March 30, 2017

Sen. Jeff Merkely says a decision to use the 'Nuclear Option' to confirm Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court would "destroy the integrity of the Senate" and "highly politicize the [Supreme] court."

"If this process goes through, every 5-4 decision will be one we will look at and say that it is not really legitimate, because that Supreme Court Justice wasn't really legitimate," he said.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/03/30/sen_merkley_if_gorsuch_is_confirmed_every_5-4_decision_will_be_illegitimate.html

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jeffy.  Go pound sand.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Frank Cannon

Hey Jerkley. You Leftist clowns have convinced everyone that the Supreme Court is the last word. Good luck trying to convince your loser supporters otherwise.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So, unless they are the Rulers, everything else is illegitimate.

Trump is illegitimate.

The SCOTUS will be illegitimate if Grouch is confirmed.

And so on.

Well, I feel for them.  I never considered Obama or anything the came out of his regime to be legitimate either and pretty much ignored as much of it as I could, save granting him my contempt at every opportunity.

Lawlessness breeds more lawlessness and eventually anarchy, which is what we are now witnessing.

Especially when administered from the top on down.

It's how civil societies totally unravel into despotism.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline skeeter

F em. The democrats have already blown up the process. Might as well pull out the (legally permissible) stops to get what we want.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There may be a lot of SC decisions that are illegitimate, but it won't be because of Gorsuch.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

So, every decision without Gorsuch, but with Kagen, Sotomayor and Ginsberg, were legitimate, but adding Gorsuch would politicise the court and make it "illegitimate?"  Gotcha.

I hope he makes leftists heads explode for years to come.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Wish a reporter would push his microphone in front of the Senator and ask him the part of the Constitution that says that.

The only way to stop a confirmed Gorsuch, other than inviting him to a West Texas hunting ranch, is to impeach and remove him, Senator.  Even then, every decision until removal is 100% legitimate.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Wish a reporter would push his microphone in front of the Senator and ask him the part of the Constitution that says that.

The only way to stop a confirmed Gorsuch, other than inviting him to a West Texas hunting ranch, is to impeach and remove him, Senator.  Even then, every decision until removal is 100% legitimate.

Better lock up all the pillows, to be safe.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

So, every decision without Gorsuch, but with Kagen, Sotomayor and Ginsberg, were legitimate, but adding Gorsuch would politicise the court and make it "illegitimate?"  Gotcha.

I hope he makes leftists heads explode for years to come.

The left is really blowing it here. You think Gorsuch will make leftists heads explode, wait 'till Ginsberg kicks off and Trump goes back to his list, just out of spite.

Offline MajorClay

Those grapes must be really sour      8888crybaby

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
So, unless they are the Rulers, everything else is illegitimate.

Here's a little exercise that provides food for thought.  Imagine all the Democrats in Washington are replaced by Islamist extremists that believe only in Sharia Law. 

Non-believers of all types must be opposed at all times whether they be Muslim, Christian, or atheists.  Their views are not allowed and must be eliminated.  The Constitution and The Rule of Law mean nothing, only Sharia Law has value.  Yet they are not opposed to utilizing both the Constitution and The Rule of Law as tools to turn against an open society when convenient for them. 

So it becomes a bit of a Catch 22.  Our society in America believes the right to live, think and freely express your opinions is one of the great achievements of Western civilization.  Everyone deserves a seat at the table even if your views are radical.  Therefore, extremists who believe only in Sharia Law are allowed a seat at the table. 

The extremists will argue genital mutilation is merely part of their religious freedom of expression.  They will argue the police are biased and prejudiced against their culture.  And they will present a list of demands society must comply with to prove we are not prejudiced.  (Hmmmm, sounds like Dearborn, MI)

So we give an inch and they take a mile.  A few months later we give another inch and they take another mile.  The pattern continues and pretty soon you start to run out of inches.  (Ringing any bells?)

It all makes for an interesting exercise that has a common thread - Non-believers of all types must be opposed at all times.

Resist!