Author Topic: Ohio-class subs could be unfit underwater in a decade, STRATCOM warns  (Read 634 times)

rangerrebew

Ohio-class subs could be unfit underwater in a decade, STRATCOM warns

By: Leo Shane III, April 4, 2017
WASHINGTON — Navy officials may have as little as a decade before their Ohio-class submarine fleet won’t dive beneath the waves anymore, the head of U.S. Strategic Command warned lawmakers on Tuesday.

“Each submarine is built to go down, under pressure, a certain number of times. Once you reach the end of life, you can't go down any more,” said Air Force Gen. John Hyten, STRATCOM commander, in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee. “And a submarine on the top of the water is not an effective deterrent.”

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/ohio-class-submarines-useless-decade-stratcom
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:29:35 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Ohio-class subs could be unfit underwater in a decade, STRATCOM warns
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:14 am »
I think what he meant is that they'll go down, they just won't come back up. A lack of parity in those events is an undesirable outcome.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Ohio-class subs could be unfit underwater in a decade, STRATCOM warns
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 04:42:28 pm »
“Each submarine is built to go down, under pressure, a certain number of times. Once you reach the end of life, you can't go down any more,” said Air Force Gen. John Hyten, STRATCOM commander, in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

I don't mean to quibble with the good General, but surely the issue is not with the submarine being able to go down, but with it's ability to surface again.