Author Topic: Rand Paul Makes Fun of the Government’s Attempt to Make Tomatoes Taste Better  (Read 606 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) took aim at the government’s attempt to make tomatoes taste better. The National Science Foundation spent $1.5 million trying to improve the taste of the vegetable (technically a fruit as Paul notes) and the libertarian-leaning Republican blasted it in his Waste Report and in a press release:

“Apparently the research found that modern tomatoes are less tasty because they have less sugar and other flavorful chemicals. Wait … sugar will make something taste better?” Paul’s press release deadpanned.

The press release also asked why “Uncle Sam is funding better tasting tomatoes and not Heinz, Papa John’s, or Campbell’s” despite tomatoes being consumed in mass consumption as part of “more complex foods.” In addition, Paul asked if the tomato industry was hurting even though the tomatoes are the second most consumed vegetable in the US and a $2 billion industry.

“STILL NO WORD ON MAKING BRUSSELS SPROUTS BETTER,” the press release ends.

Read more: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/rand-paul-makes-fun-of-the-governments-attempt-to-make-tomatoes-taste-better/#ixzz4dIH9iAxp
Follow us: @TheLibRepublic on Twitter

Offline dfwgator

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I grow heirloom tomatoes without government help.

Offline Polly Ticks

“STILL NO WORD ON MAKING BRUSSELS SPROUTS BETTER,” the press release ends.

Talk about wasted effort.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I grow whatever the heck Lowe's sells (and get a ton of them too.). I learned a long time ago, if you leave them on the vine until they are fully ripe, they taste a thousand times better. Of course, mass production shipping to stores can't do that or the supply will rot.

No conspiracy, no changes in the environment, just the result of production differences. No big deal. And absolutely no need for government involvement.

Offline Polly Ticks

There is nothing better than a tomato right off the vine from my own backyard.   I spend every summer with a mouth full of canker sores from the acid in the tomatoes, and I don't even care.  Yum!!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I grow whatever the heck Lowe's sells (and get a ton of them too.). I learned a long time ago, if you leave them on the vine until they are fully ripe, they taste a thousand times better. Of course, mass production shipping to stores can't do that or the supply will rot.

No conspiracy, no changes in the environment, just the result of production differences. No big deal. And absolutely no need for government involvement.

Mass produced tomatoes are bred to ripen all at once with thick skins to be bruise resistant. Taste is a secondary concern with a lot of that sort of thing. I like to pick mine as needed over a month or two period.