Author Topic: U.S. military tests 'game-changer' electromagnetic railgun that can fire projectiles at 4,500 mph  (Read 972 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. military tests 'game-changer' electromagnetic railgun that can fire projectiles at 4,500 mph
March 28, 2017

WASHINGTON – U.S. military leaders are in the process of testing a new electromagnetic gun that can fire ammo at 4,500 miles per hour. The Daily Mirror reports. Continue reading original article

The Military & Aerospace Electronics take:

28 March 2017 -- This means that the electromagnetic railgun launcher uses electricity instead of chemical propellants. Magnetic fields created by high electrical currents accelerate a sliding metal conductor, or armature, between two rails to launch projectiles at 4,500 miles per hour.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/pt/2017/03/u-s-military-tests-game-changer-electromagnetic-railgun-that-can-fire-projectiles-at-4-500-mph.html
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:58:11 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What's the muzzle flash?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
That is around Mach 6, at those speeds, the air itself can burn.  Think shuttle reentry. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
What's the muzzle flash?

I'm guessing its whatever carries the projectile down the barrel vaporizing.

Offline thackney

What's the muzzle flash?

SPECTROSCOPIC STUDIES OF A RAILGUN MUZZLE FLASH
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a156607.pdf

More than you wanted to know:

Short answer, ionized particles of nearly anything involved including the air.

Offline Smokin Joe

SPECTROSCOPIC STUDIES OF A RAILGUN MUZZLE FLASH
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a156607.pdf

More than you wanted to know:

Short answer, ionized particles of nearly anything involved including the air.
At 30-35,000 degrees Kelvin, yep. "Plasma" would be the shorter answer, but thanks for the reference!

I wonder what the target was. I used to see shells from that facility drop into the Potomac when I was building seawalls.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:58:37 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

At 30-35,000 degrees Kelvin, yep. "Plasma" would be the shorter answer, but thanks for the reference!

I wonder what the target was. I used to see shells from that facility drop into the Potomac when I was building seawalls.

I think erosion may be a significant factor in this equipment.

Offline Smokin Joe

That is what the spectrographic study was trying to determine, essentially. What is in the plasma and where it that coming from? Some from even the screws used to attach measurement devices near the muzzle. Some from aluminum plugs in the copper, some from the projectile itself. When those temperatures are generated it is going to wear something. The question of whether that affects ballistic properties of the projectile, or how it affects the accuracy of the weapon itself would be raised.

The extremely large guns, from railway guns to the tube type guns Saddam was building, suffer from severe bore erosion, and I think the question was of how bad that would be in a railgun--which would affect its combat utility on any vessel. Still, they might be cheaper than the $800K per round of the Zumwalt class main gun.

C S Lewis

Offline bolobaby

Cool, but looks like lots of systems that could fail in wartime. Sometimes simpler is better.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I used to see shells from that facility drop into the Potomac when I was building seawalls.
My, gone from an archaeologist to an architect/civil engineer to a working geologist.

The boy has no limits on abilities.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Anything with that temperature, that speed and hardened projectile that is a given.

Perhaps there are some new materials that can withstand competently, at least for awhile.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

My, gone from an archaeologist to an architect/civil engineer to a working geologist.

The boy has no limits on abilities.
It was my first job off the farm. I was the guy standing on the top stringer with the sheeting hammer, driving 2x10 tongue-in groove creosote pressure-treated sheeting, one board at a time. I lost ten inches off my waist and gained 20 lbs the first summer. Hot, hard, work, even by farmboy standards. Hardly a civil engineer or architect.

C S Lewis