Author Topic: Co-opting Jesus' Name  (Read 435 times)

rangerrebew

Co-opting Jesus' Name
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:48:59 pm »
April 2, 2017
Co-opting Jesus' Name
By Thomas Burke

The American progressive Left frequently decries the use of the name of Jesus Christ for political gain. I've heard this personally in conversation and read it in many articles, and the condemnation is often intense, claiming that co-opting Christ's name or actions to argue public policy, especially by those on the Right claiming to be Christian, is plainly disingenuous and despicable.

One recent installment in this line of thought comes from Nicholas Kristof writing in the New York Times. In his satirical opinion piece "And Jesus Said Unto Paul of Ryan...", Kristof lambastes U.S. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan for the seeming contradictions between Ryan's faith as a Catholic and his actions as a legislator -- specifically with regard to the American Health Care Act, the failed replacement for the Affordable Care Act (ACA). I won't attempt to validate Ryan or defend the legislation, but I do, as a Christian myself, feel obliged to point out the many fallacies inherent in the premises Kristof uses to support his fanciful diatribe.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/04/coopting_jesus_name.html#ixzz4d6UitPTT
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook