Author Topic: Trump administration stops disclosing troop deployments in Iraq and Syria  (Read 504 times)

rangerrebew

Trump administration stops disclosing troop deployments in Iraq and Syria

Critics of the move say the public has a right to know about the wars in which the U.S. is engaging. (March 31, 2017) 
W.J. Hennigan

Even as the U.S. military takes on a greater role in the warfare in Iraq and Syria, the Trump administration has stopped disclosing significant information about the size and nature of the U.S. commitment, including the number of U.S. troops deployed in either country.

Earlier this month, the Pentagon quietly dispatched 400 Marines to northern Syria to operate artillery in support of Syrian militias that are cooperating in the fight against Islamic State, according to U.S. officials. That was the first use of U.S. Marines in that country since its long civil war began.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-trump-deployment-20170330-story.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 09:34:58 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In general terms - about effing time.

In more specific terms - do remember to let your allies in the field know when you are sending people in, eh? It prevents embarrassingly fatal errors.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

In more specific terms - do remember to let your allies in the field know when you are sending people in, eh? It prevents embarrassingly fatal errors.

The only people that seem to be upset about this is the media, of course.  I never understood it to begin with, either.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I agree. What is the point of telling your enemy troop strengths and telegraphing punches? Make them use their own HUMINT to find out. In the meantime, if you wish to deceive the enemy, "leak" material to the press.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:24:12 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

In the meantime, if you wish to deceive the enemy, "leak" material to the press.

I like the idea of leaking ON the press.  William Tecumseh Sherman hated the press and was convinced if he killed all the newpapermen in his camp after dinner, there would be news from hell by breakfast.