Author Topic: Two German firms interested in building Trump’s border wall  (Read 1202 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Mexico border wall was one of the most controversial elements of Donald Trump's presidential campaign, but that hasn't stopped two German companies from registering an interest in building it. .....

https://www.thelocal.de/20170330/two-german-firms-interested-in-building-trumps-border-wall

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Two German firms interested in building Trump’s border wall
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:54:55 am »
Perhaps they need to make a pitch to Frau Merkel for a security wall to keep out the Syrians first.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 09:32:39 am »
I dunno, those East Germans built a pretty effective wall in Berlin... How old are these companies? What projects have they done in the past?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:33:48 am »
Perhaps they need to make a pitch to Frau Merkel for a security wall to keep out the Syrians first.
Talk to the Hungarians. They did pretty well.
Frau Merkel won't. Too much baggage between the Berlin Wall and camp enclosures.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:10:45 pm »
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"I dunno, those East Germans built a pretty effective wall in Berlin."

Yes they did.
I know of it personally, having gone through the Berlin Wall (wearing an Army uniform), and from having had a chance to observe it from both sides of the Iron Curtain.

It was quite obvious to anyone there that the wall "worked". Of course there were -a few- who succeeded in breaching it, but for all intents and purposes, it functioned as intended. It kept folks on one side from getting to the other side.

Its remarkable efficacy offers reassurance that a wall constructed along the Mexican border, soundly constructed and sufficiently monitored, would produce similar results.

And that's why the democrats -- and even some Republican members of this very forum -- are so adamantly opposed to the idea.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:11:24 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 01:11:57 am »
Smokin' Joe wrote:

Yes they did.
I know of it personally, having gone through the Berlin Wall (wearing an Army uniform), and from having had a chance to observe it from both sides of the Iron Curtain.

It was quite obvious to anyone there that the wall "worked". Of course there were -a few- who succeeded in breaching it, but for all intents and purposes, it functioned as intended. It kept folks on one side from getting to the other side.

Its remarkable efficacy offers reassurance that a wall constructed along the Mexican border, soundly constructed and sufficiently monitored, would produce similar results.

And that's why the democrats -- and even some Republican members of this very forum -- are so adamantly opposed to the idea.
I'm not opposed to the idea, but I would not underestimate the engineering challenge it presents. The other problem is one of water access. Most folks who live on the coasts where water is relatively plentiful don't realize the key to being able to use the land out west is water. Without water access, ranching just doesn't work, and that is a way of life here. Water rights are even deeded, like property elsewhere. Cut off ready access to water (the Rio Grande) for hundreds of miles, put part of a person's land on the other side of the wall, and you have devalued their remaining land (essentially made it useless). Yes, water can be pumped long distances, but the pumping stations will be on the other side, and difficult to maintain because the wall will be in the way. Either a multitude of access points, each one a weakness, will have to be built, a different design conceived which addresses those problems, or hundreds of thousands of acres of productive land worth of ranching and agriculture will literally dry up.
There are, however, vast stretches where a wall is not so seriously challenged, and those could be readily addressed while solutions in design are made for the rest.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 01:43:21 am »
Just make sure to tell them to keep the razor wire pointed OUT.

Democrats and the Establishment will likely want it pointed IN.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:01 am »

Razor wire is indiscriminate.  ^-^
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:42 am »

I have long said that by the time the border is secured it will be to keep us in.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 05:13:21 am »
really? we're going to outsource this like the steel in the pipeline?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 05:42:28 am »
I'm not opposed to the idea, but I would not underestimate the engineering challenge it presents. The other problem is one of water access. Most folks who live on the coasts where water is relatively plentiful don't realize the key to being able to use the land out west is water. Without water access, ranching just doesn't work, and that is a way of life here. Water rights are even deeded, like property elsewhere. Cut off ready access to water (the Rio Grande) for hundreds of miles, put part of a person's land on the other side of the wall, and you have devalued their remaining land (essentially made it useless). Yes, water can be pumped long distances, but the pumping stations will be on the other side, and difficult to maintain because the wall will be in the way. Either a multitude of access points, each one a weakness, will have to be built, a different design conceived which addresses those problems, or hundreds of thousands of acres of productive land worth of ranching and agriculture will literally dry up.
There are, however, vast stretches where a wall is not so seriously challenged, and those could be readily addressed while solutions in design are made for the rest.

So put it up a mile south of the Rio Grande.  We're constantly hearing about how we stole their land, fine, let's steal some.  What are they going to do, cry more?  "I'll give you something to cry about".

[There was a time in my life when this post would have been completely sarcastic.]
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 07:00:45 am »
So put it up a mile south of the Rio Grande.  We're constantly hearing about how we stole their land, fine, let's steal some.  What are they going to do, cry more?  "I'll give you something to cry about".

[There was a time in my life when this post would have been completely sarcastic.]
Now, there's an idea. Thinking outside the box. :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 07:45:11 am »
Smokin' Joe wrote:

Yes they did.

I think the primary factor that made the wall work so well was that it was backed up by flying bullets without warning.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 11:28:49 am »
I think the primary factor that made the wall work so well was that it was backed up by flying bullets without warning.
I recall reading there were sensors from the surface to well below ground level to detect digging, and mines as well. It was a fairly elaborate system, all in all, and a layered barrier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortifications_of_the_inner_German_border#/media/File:System_of_gdr_border_fortification.jpg
http://www.dailysoft.com/berlinwall/history/facts_03.htm

That was designed to keep people in, but turn it around and modify it a little and it should work the other way in a lot of places.
Of course, the globalists and Liberals in the media would have a field day with the optics of the US using a DDR style wall to keep people out not even 30 years after "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:45:13 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis