Author Topic: NASA's $1 billion Jupiter probe just sent back breathtaking new images of the gas giant  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Suppressed

NASA's $1 billion Jupiter probe just sent back breathtaking new images of the gas giant
Space fans are taking the spacecraft's raw data and processing it into colorful pictures.
Published: 29.03.2017 , Refreshed: 08.41 Dave Mosher
http://pulse.ng/bi/tech/tech-nasas-1-billion-jupiter-probe-just-sent-back-breathtaking-new-images-of-the-gas-giant-id6448065.html

A probe the size of a basketball court has taken unprecedented new images of Jupiter.

NASA's $1 billion Juno spacecraft, launched in August 2011, took five years to reach and settle into orbit around the gas giant, which is located more than 415 million miles from Earth.

The probe has so far photographed Jupiter's poles for the first time, detected bizarre cloud formations, recorded mysterious auroras, and scanned deep into the planet's thick cloud tops.

Excerpt.

See images at http://pulse.ng/bi/tech/tech-nasas-1-billion-jupiter-probe-just-sent-back-breathtaking-new-images-of-the-gas-giant-id6448065.html

Some examples are here, also: http://imgur.com/gallery/kqGPJ

The trajectory a composite image are also there.

@kevindavis @Freya
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
These are amazing.

@kevindavis
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Oceander

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Pretty good considering the fact that the camera was more of an afterthought than part of the science package.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Interesting photos... no sign yet of the North Polar Adepts...
Let it burn.