Author Topic: Educational Sabotage  (Read 276 times)

rangerrebew

Educational Sabotage
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:43:36 am »
Educational Sabotage
Walter E. Williams

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 12:01 AM

Nationally, black junior high and high school students are suspended at a rate more than three times as often as their white peers, twice as often as their Latino peers and more than 10 times as often as their Asian peers. According to former Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan, the "huge disparity is not caused by differences in children; it's caused by differences in training, professional development, and discipline policies. It is adult behavior that needs to change." In other words, the Education Department sees no difference between the behavior of black students and white, Latino and Asian students. It's just that black students are singled out for discriminatory discipline. Driven by Obama administration pressures, school districts revised their discipline procedures by cutting the number of black student suspensions.

https://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2017/03/29/educational-sabotage-n2304817?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:44:24 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Educational Sabotage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31:03 am »
Welcome to the late '60s all over again. Where I grew up, white teachers and administrators would not discipline black students for fear of being branded "racist", and discipline broke down. Black teachers and administrators with rare exception were slow to discipline white kids, for fear of backlash, even though even incompetent black teachers were 'safe' from dismissal because of the political appearances and potential to provoke a riot.
Race riots were the order of the day in schools where the mix was close to even, and despite a few good teachers' efforts, getting anywhere academically was a serious struggle, even for the best 'sections' of students (grouped on a basis of percentile rank on standardized tests like the Iowa Test of Basic Skills).  Sections with higher numbers (and lower scores on the tests), had even more trouble.

All this followed forced integration by 3-4 years, with plenty of outside agitation (one student was arrested in school by the FBI for his associations with H Rap Brown, Stokely Carmichael, and Eldridge Cleaver and incidents in Cambridge, MD).

Thankfully, I had the opportunity to go to a private school by my junior year, and I jumped at it. Academically, it saved me.

So how about this: restore the ability of teachers and administrators to discipline students, expel them, suspend them, as they see fit.
Quit playing numbers games with how many of who of what skin color get in trouble and start dealing with kids. Take 'em as they come, and don't let them off because they are black or brown or white.
They aren't dumb, they will exploit any weakness, especially kids from homes most would consider 'rough', because that is what they have learned--to survive in a dysfunctional environment, by whatever means necessary.

Essentially, the Liberals got their wish, the village is raising the children, but the results aren't the shining vision of warm fuzzy utopia they envisioned. They've created a dystopian environment full of subsidized ferals who see no gain in playing by the rules because the libs have told them that the deck is stacked against them so often they believe it, and besides they'd be pulled back into the crab basket for trying to climb out and 'acting white'. Even good kids end up having to be bad to survive, and gaming the system is seen as a superior adaptation, not putting out the effort to learn and thriving within it.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis