Author Topic: Yemen: White House ‘considering potential attack’ to liberate al-Hudaydah port  (Read 443 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
White House ‘considering potential attack’ to liberate al-Hudaydah port
By Pierre Ghanem
Al Arabiya News Channel Monday, 27 March 2017
Washington D.C. – US official sources have confirmed to Al Arabiya a White House meeting is set this week to discuss the situation in Yemen, specifically the port of al-Hudaydah.

The meeting is set to be attended by key members of the US government in which they will discuss the situation in Yemen since the Arab Alliance requested their participation in the battle to control the port.

The proposal dates back to last year when the United Arab Emirates presented a plan to the Obama administration, which included an attack on the port and the nearby city to remove the Houthis and their allies from the coastal area.

The hope is that a counter-attack would prevent the militias from threatening navy and commercial ships on international waters in the Red Sea and from receiving weapons supplies from Iran or members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and Hezbollah.

Continued: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/gulf/2017/03/27/White-House-considering-potential-attack-to-liberate-al-Hudaydah-port.html

This sounds far-fetched, however, this article indicates a larger role is being discussed.
http://www.voanews.com/a/us-weighs-bigger-role-in-yemen-war-boosting-aid-to-allies/3784652.html

Yemen has 24 million people, so it's not tiny.

geronl

I hope we aren't talking ground troops

geronl

The Houthi control much of northern Yemen including the capitol Sana'a, the "legitimate" government fled to Aden. The port in question is much closer to Sana'a than Aden.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I hope we aren't talking ground troops
Ground troops are the only way to ensure the objective has been captured and held.

Personally, bombing that $hithole into nothingness appears to be the best option right now...sick and tired of being dragged into this flea infested region under the guise of "protecting commerce".

Sink any ship leaving Iranian ports.

Let the shipping companies protect their own ASSEtS...I fail to see how this advances US interests.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Yemen has Saudi/GCC/Yemeni coalition forces there already, that's somewhat what I'd expect to see.

It's a bad war but certainly, not a Syria or Iraq.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/16/yemen-war-death-toll-has-reached-10000-un-says
UN: Death Toll Has Reached 10,000

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Yay a new war. /s