Author Topic: Begun, The War On Conservatives Has (Shapiro)  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Begun, The War On Conservatives Has (Shapiro)
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »
Trump and Ryan gave conservatives a golden opportunity to be part of the solution,  and the Freedom Caucus demurred.

So it's logical to now tack to the center.

Politics isn't complicated - it's about the building of coalitions.   Conservatives need to decide if they want to be part of coalitions, or be outside the process on an island of ideological purity.   

Trump doesn't care about ideology - to his credit.   He sees that this country is a mess and wants to try to fix it.   If conservatives want to give him the back of their hand, the better to keep their self-righteous anger focused and their consciences clear, then so be it.   There are other deal partners out there.       
Didn't they e-mail you some new talking points today?

The voters gave those conservatives a mandate. Those Representatives work for the people in their home districts, not Trump, not Ryan. Conservatives didn't give Trump anything, some of them refused to vote for a piece of legislation. They were honest about that. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the Republicans in there. You do need to recalibrate, though. A tack to the 'center' would require a right turn, not a left. Maybe your compass is off.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 12:21:47 pm »
Trump and Ryan gave conservatives a golden opportunity to be part of the solution,  and the Freedom Caucus demurred.

So it's logical to now tack to the center.

Politics isn't complicated - it's about the building of coalitions.   Conservatives need to decide if they want to be part of coalitions, or be outside the process on an island of ideological purity.   

Trump doesn't care about ideology - to his credit.   He sees that this country is a mess and wants to try to fix it.   If conservatives want to give him the back of their hand, the better to keep their self-righteous anger focused and their consciences clear, then so be it.   There are other deal partners out there.         

Trump wants the fix things?  Only if by that you mean the same way Obama wanted to fix things. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 12:26:45 pm »
Didn't they e-mail you some new talking points today?

The voters gave those conservatives a mandate. Those Representatives work for the people in their home districts, not Trump, not Ryan. Conservatives didn't give Trump anything, some of them refused to vote for a piece of legislation. They were honest about that. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the Republicans in there. You do need to recalibrate, though. A tack to the 'center' would require a right turn, not a left. Maybe your compass is off.

The voters didn't give conservatives a mandate,  they gave them an opportunity.   Conservatives have the opportunity - for the first time in many years - to join a united GOP caucus and pass legislation that a Republican President can sign.   But the Freedom Caucus won't deal.   They just want to say no.   They are professional obstructionists, no matter which party is in power.     

I offer no "talking points", only simple reality.   If the conservatives don't want the opportunity to govern, then the President will find other, more willing, coalition partners.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »
The voters didn't give conservatives a mandate,  they gave them an opportunity.   Conservatives have the opportunity - for the first time in many years - to join a united GOP caucus and pass legislation that a Republican President can sign.   But the Freedom Caucus won't deal.   They just want to say no.   They are professional obstructionists, no matter which party is in power.     

I offer no "talking points", only simple reality.   If the conservatives don't want the opportunity to govern, then the President will find other, more willing, coalition partners.
First off, the president can sign (or not) whatever the Congress sends him. Congress just has to pass it first. I'm not a go along to get along kinda guy. I have been the only person in the room who was right before. Going along to get along would have had me put my OK on something that cost a client millions because they wouldn't listen, and had they listened, they would have had a fine oil well instead of a very expensive cement repository.
So, frankly, I couldn't care less what Trump wants, like it or not, now he's another employee, not the boss.
You and I , again, are going to disagree. You see the problem as the numbers game. The majority says the world is flat, you say the world is flat. Only no one told the planet about that.
Simple enough. Let the liberals move to the right for a change, they'll be glad they did.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 12:40:37 pm »
You and I , again, are going to disagree. You see the problem as the numbers game. The majority says the world is flat, you say the world is flat. Only no one told the planet about that.
Simple enough. Let the liberals move to the right for a change, they'll be glad they did.

What possible incentive do liberals have to move right?   Actually, you point up another aspect of the tremendous damage done to conservatism by the Freedom Caucus.  By causing the collapse of conservative health care reform, the FC has emboldened the left to stay unified in opposition.  The collapse of the AHCA represents a huge policy victory for liberals, and their strategy of resistance has paid off.

Again - conservatives have an opportunity that they can accept or kick to the curb.   They can choose to follow party leadership and be part of a GOP coalition that passes bills the President can sign, or they can continue their obstructionist ways as if there had never been a transformative Presidential election.   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:41:47 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 12:41:18 pm »
First off, the president can sign (or not) whatever the Congress sends him. Congress just has to pass it first. I'm not a go along to get along kinda guy. I have been the only person in the room who was right before. Going along to get along would have had me put my OK on something that cost a client millions because they wouldn't listen, and had they listened, they would have had a fine oil well instead of a very expensive cement repository.
So, frankly, I couldn't care less what Trump wants, like it or not, now he's another employee, not the boss.

Its not so much that most people are wrong as the people who are wrong are loud and ignorant.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44:41 pm »
What possible incentive do liberals have to move right?   Actually, you point up another aspect of the tremendous damage done to conservatism by the Freedom Caucus.  By causing the collapse of conservative health care reform, the FC has emboldened the left to stay unified in opposition.  The collapse of the AHCA represents a huge policy victory for liberals, and their strategy of resistance has paid off.

Again - conservatives have an opportunity that they can accept or kick to the curb.   They can choose to follow party leadership and be part of a GOP coalition that passes bills the President can sign, or they can continue their obstructionist ways as if there had never been a transformative Presidential election.   
Like I said, we're going to disagree.

You liberals (R) are missing a fine opportunity to step up to the plate and so America some good. Instead, you're attacking conservatives.

No wonder the liberals (D) are so emboldened.
Really, Chucky, is that you?

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2017, 12:45:46 pm »

Republican is obviously no longer synonymous with conservative.  The voters gave conservatives a mandate.  A united GOP caucus?  Definitely not.  Perhaps a united RINO caucus.  I see you've once again used liberal leftist mental midget talking points. The Freedom Caucus aren't obstructionists.  To try to push a bill through that doesn't fulfill promises made and panders to the left is what's wrong with Republicans. It is why Republicans may very well lose their majority in 2018. To keep the provision in the ACA that allows illegals to benefit and doesn't repeal is absolutely unacceptable and to chastise those who had some backbone and stood their ground is absurd, ridiculous and nothing more than liberal gutter speak.

Ryan should be repealed and replaced and the rest of the bozos that went along with him should be put on notice.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 12:54:22 pm »

Ideology is simply a consistent understanding of right and wrong.  You're correct, Trump doesn't care about that.  He cares about being on the winning side and being seen as a winner himself.  If he can't be seen as a winner by working with conservatives to fulfill his promises, then he'll be seen as a winner by working with Democrats to break his promises.  The country be damned, it only matters that he be seen as a winner, and he'll switch sides if he has to in order to do that.

Government-as-Dealmaking is the reason my not-yet-born grandchildren already have a federal debt burden they will never be able to manage, and the reason that Washington DC is a wealthy city while towns from coast to coast are withering.  Fixing the problem doesn't mean finding willing deal partners, it means first defining the problem, and Reagan was right about what the problem is.  Trump never spoke a word during the campaign or since to suggest that he understands what the problem is, he just wants to be seen as maintaining the upper hand and getting his own way in a negotiation so that he can declare himself the winner.
James 1:20

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 01:10:06 pm »
Like I said, we're going to disagree.

You liberals (R) are missing a fine opportunity to step up to the plate and so America some good. Instead, you're attacking conservatives.

I'm not attacking conservatives, I'm attacking the idiots in the Freedom Caucus, unwilling to say yes to conservative repair of the ACA.     We won't get this chance again.   

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 02:50:20 pm »
I'm not attacking conservatives, I'm attacking the idiots in the Freedom Caucus, unwilling to say yes to conservative repair of the ACA.     We won't get this chance again.   

We didn't have it this time with the AHCA.  You do realize that the "three-step" plan was never actually going to be passed, right?
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »
We didn't have it this time with the AHCA.  You do realize that the "three-step" plan was never actually going to be passed, right?

Not if blindered conservatives won't let us get past the first step.   There is still some things that can be done on the regulatory side,  but the chance to block-grant Medicaid?   I don't see that opportunity arising again.   

Offline corbe

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 02:54:40 pm »
I'm not attacking conservatives, I'm attacking the idiots in the Freedom Caucus

Those so called idiots in the Freedom Caucus are the only real Conservatives in the House, This statement by you @Jazzhead is so devoid of anything but raw unadulterated BS that I wondered why you would even type it and then I realized it's opposite's day, so things we may think are smart are really stupid.

unwilling to say yes to conservative repair of the ACA.     We won't get this chance again.

To the first part - Conservative repair of ACA?   Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!

Ryan has already said they are still working on it, we'll see another gallant attempt before Summer ends, IMHO.   
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:16 pm »

'We' nothing.  You're a Leftist/Communist by your own words.  You are not and have nothing to do with Conservatism outside of attacking it and pushing tyranny upon everyone and telling us all it's 'pragmatic Conservatism'.

It's nothing of the sort but pure unadulterated Communistic tyranny. 
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 02:59:28 pm »
'We' nothing.  You're a Leftist/Communist by your own words.  You are not and have nothing to do with Conservatism outside of attacking it and pushing tyranny upon everyone and telling us all it's 'pragmatic Conservatism'.

It's nothing of the sort but pure unadulterated Communistic tyranny.

Stop huffing paint.  It's just not healthy.   

Offline corbe

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 03:04:35 pm »
  projection there @Jazzhead
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »
Republican is obviously no longer synonymous with conservative. 

Except for a fleeting period in the 1980's the Republican Party never was synonymous with conservatism.

This is why "RiNO" is such an asinine acronym. 

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 03:28:25 pm »
I thought it was already a done deal, a lost opportunity etc. Did the bluebird of happiness forget to take a dump in your cheerios this morning?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 03:28:43 pm »
Except for a fleeting period in the 1980's the Republican Party never was synonymous with conservatism.

I stopped huffing long enough to post that statement there I agree with wholeheartedly.

The GOP never was a Conservative party except that brief spat of time when Reagan made it so.

Which is why it is time for Conservatives to bolt the GOP and build an actual Conservative party.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:01 pm »
Not if blindered conservatives won't let us get past the first step.   There is still some things that can be done on the regulatory side,  but the chance to block-grant Medicaid?   I don't see that opportunity arising again.

It was never going to happen, even if conservatives rolled over and allowed this "first step" to pass, and you know it.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 03:34:05 pm »
   Those so called idiots in the Freedom Caucus are the only real Conservatives in the House, This statement by you @Jazzhead is so devoid of anything but raw unadulterated BS that I wondered why you would even type it and then I realized it's opposite's day, so things we may think are smart are really stupid.

To the first part - Conservative repair of ACA?   Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!

Ryan has already said they are still working on it, we'll see another gallant attempt before Summer ends, IMHO.   
It's funny the way @Jazzhead thinks that the freedom caucus alone managed to stop this grand bill that only 17% of the country supported. Despite Rand Paul saying that it was DOA on arrival in the Senate. It's also funny the way he wants to give up on the first try as if we will never have a chance to work out a better solution. Liberals are so cute at that age. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline corbe

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2017, 03:36:21 pm »
I stopped huffing long enough to post that statement there I agree with wholeheartedly.

The GOP never was a Conservative party except that brief spat of time when Reagan made it so.

Which is why it is time for Conservatives to bolt the GOP and build an actual Conservative party.

Spot on @INVAR but I'd go back a little further to when Goldwater wrestled control of the GOP from those NE  Rockefeller Republicans (which Trump reminds me of).

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 03:36:24 pm »

This conservative bolted the Republican party the exact moment they ran roughshod over their own rules at the latest national convention and I have no intention to ever return.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »

True.  If you think about it, "RINO" should actually refer to us those Republicans who truly believe in their conservative principles and try to enact them.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
True.  If you think about it, "RINO" should actually refer to us those Republicans who truly believe in their conservative principles and try to enact them.

Call me a RINO then and I will wear the label with pride!  I long believed that the easiest path to a conservative party was to take over the republican party from within. I was wrong about that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien