Author Topic: So You College Snowflakes Had a Bad Day, Huh?  (Read 1025 times)

rangerrebew

So You College Snowflakes Had a Bad Day, Huh?
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:54:31 pm »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: So You College Snowflakes Had a Bad Day, Huh?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:40:11 am »
I don't consider myself a snowflake

I was in college when Reagan was president.

I'm having a bad day here, in pain, almost fell this am walking to the toilet. Etc. etc.

The bad days will get better, the pain will get better every day, I'll get through what I'm going through, with a smile on my face, because I know I've been through worse and I know life will give me worse in future.

Thanks for putting it in perspective. G-d bless our soldiers and people who put their own lives on the line for us, I'll never be able to hold a candle to them and their courage and bravery

Thanks @rangerrebew
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:46:30 am »
I don't consider myself a snowflake

I was in college when Reagan was president.

I'm having a bad day here, in pain, almost fell this am walking to the toilet. Etc. etc.

The bad days will get better, the pain will get better every day, I'll get through what I'm going through, with a smile on my face, because I know I've been through worse and I know life will give me worse in future.

Thanks for putting it in perspective. G-d bless our soldiers and people who put their own lives on the line for us, I'll never be able to hold a candle to them and their courage and bravery

Thanks @rangerrebew

I've had both knees and hips replaced and amazed my wife because I never complained about the pain.  I've had two heart ablations and never complained.  I have fallen and was rewarded with 5 staples in the head.  Again, no complaints.  Yes, its all part of growing up, as I see it, but it doesn't come close to what many in the military have faced because of their service.  I'm glad it gave you a new perspective - that was the purpose, after all. :patriot:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:01 am »
I've had both knees and hips replaced and amazed my wife because I never complained about the pain.  I've had two heart ablations and never complained.  I have fallen and was rewarded with 5 staples in the head.  Again, no complaints.  Yes, its all part of growing up, as I see it, but it doesn't come close to what many in the military have faced because of their service.  I'm glad it gave you a new perspective - that was the purpose, after all. :patriot:

Pain is weird. I had kidney stones and the pain was just more inconvenient. The nurses were telling me the pain from that is worse than childbirth.

I hear childbirth is painful.

I heard knees are worse than hips to go through physical therapy. I'm glad you are still with us. The heart surgery and the staples in the head sound horrible.

@rangerrebew

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:07:38 am »
Pain is weird. I had kidney stones and the pain was just more inconvenient. The nurses were telling me the pain from that is worse than childbirth.

I hear childbirth is painful.

I heard knees are worse than hips to go through physical therapy. I'm glad you are still with us. The heart surgery and the staples in the head sound horrible.

@rangerrebew

There was a lot of pain but I know there will be more before I'm done growing up.  Besides, moaning about the pain only seems to heighten it, or so it seems to me.  It cause me to pay attention to it.  Which brings up another odd happening to me.  I once had a knee scoped then another surgeon came in to close a hernia after the knee was scoped.  So, after I was released, if one started hurting too much, I focused on the other and the pain that bothered me went away - at least so it seemed. :woohoo:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:07:54 am »
@rangerrebew

You put the little patriot emoji in your answer

I guess that's probably why I learned as a teen to suck up a lot of pain. My dad was a vet, and a medic in the war. He saw people in real pain, and I think it made a big impact on his 18 year old brain and soul.

Even at the end of his life when he had been approved for hospice and was on pain pills just because life was unimaginable he never told anyone but the doctor he was in pain and had a smile on his face. He'd make a grimace every now and then, but he never complained.

He was my hero. He taught me what a real man is, and at the end, he taught me how to die in peace but it would be ok when my time comes. (I hope that makes sense)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:10:53 am by Freya »

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:10:25 am »
I learned the same thing in the same place. :patriot:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:25 am »
I learned the same thing in the same place. :patriot:

Different war, same lesson. I personally think Vietnam was more of a hell hole than WWII from what I've read and seen in the movies and heard stories from people I've met who've served in it.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 11:21:40 am »
Different war, same lesson. I personally think Vietnam was more of a hell hole than WWII from what I've read and seen in the movies and heard stories from people I've met who've served in it.

All war, everywhere is hell.  The problem with Viet Nam, and the middle east, is/was the war became a political football that allowed politicians to get their faces on TV.  Meanwhile, the hands of the troops were tied by those same politicians.  That is the real hell.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 01:02:31 pm »
For me, it was a valuable life experience growing up among older men who had served in Korea and WWII, including my father. It was equally valuable, though more difficult, to watch those young men only slightly older than myself coming back from Vietnam with terrible wounds, which, as time has shown were not always visible.

As a consequence, I have always hesitated to complain about physical pain of any kind, biting my tongue whenever possible. But sometimes, it's challenging, for sure - like right now, as I had surgery four days ago and it doesn't feel all that terrific, yet.  :nometalk:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
For me, it was a valuable life experience growing up among older men who had served in Korea and WWII, including my father. It was equally valuable, though more difficult, to watch those young men only slightly older than myself coming back from Vietnam with terrible wounds, which, as time has shown were not always visible.

As a consequence, I have always hesitated to complain about physical pain of any kind, biting my tongue whenever possible. But sometimes, it's challenging, for sure - like right now, as I had surgery four days ago and it doesn't feel all that terrific, yet.  :nometalk:

There is a monumental difference between mentioning and acknowledging pain and becoming a victim to it. :patriot: